MZT61 starting issues

mcip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, hope you can provide some direction for me.

I have an MZT61 with Briggs and Stratton engine. I have a couple of starting issues I'm trying to resolve.

To start with, I've replaced the PTZ switch and the Starter solenoid. Fuel pickup is clear, fuel filter is clear.

Here are my issues:

1. Starter will not engage when turning the key, I just hear a click. Starter will engage when jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver.
2. Once the starter is engaged the engine will still not start. Throttle at 100%, is choke engaged. It will start if I give it a shot of starter fluid to the intake and I have to do this every time in order for the engine to start, hot or cold.

Thanks!
Mark

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your carburetor needs rebuilt.

If the ignition switch is sending current to the solenoid, you need a new solenoid.
If not, you need a new ignition switch or the wiring between switch and solenoid is bad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have the owners handbook ?
If not download it because you will need to have the wiring diagram to follow what is happening.
What is a PTZ switch ?
and because the starting solenoid is not shown in the diagram does the solenoid have 2 small wires ( trigger wires) at the base or just one and what are the colours.
If you wan to follow what I do you will need a 1/2 dozen short jumper wires 4" to 6" with a male spade on each end.
The basic plan is to bypass each & every switch one at a time till it starts properly.