Craftsman push mower will not start

treearch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,

Last night our mower (craftsman 917.370920) died in middle of the yard and would not start. Today I put in a new air filter and spark plug and cleanned out the carb and still no sucess.
*Mower pulls easily and blade does turn.
*There is a strong spark
*I sprayed brake cleaner in and replaced the spark plug and still it would not turn over.
* Float was movable and not cracked.
* pour 1 t of gas directly into the carb and still would not turn over.

Any idea, thanks!

JerryMc77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Because there are so many possibilities concerning your problem I would suggest you go to you tube and type in your model # and your problem. You will find many helpful videos concerning your problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you get no attempt to spark after putting fuel directly into the engine and the spark plug works outside the engine there are 2 possibilities.
1) flywheel key is broken altering the timing
2) spark plug is bad

One bang in the engine back through the carb or in the muffler can mean there is a valve timing problem.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need fuel, air, spark and compression.

Did you take the carb off? Or just spray something in it?

Brake clean is a BIG no no. As there are rubber and plastic parts in and around your carb that brake clean will eat.
When you removed the carb (if you did), did fuel come out of the fuel line when you disconnected the line?
If you take the carb apart, be sure to poke and ream every hole with a wire. Especially the emusion tube. Also, the screw that holds the bowl on, there should be 3 holes in that one little screw. Two on the sides, leading to the one in the middle.

Compressed air to blow out the holes.
Your float should be level with the carb.

Also, the fuel inlet, blow through it with the carb right side up and upside down. When it's right side up, you should be able to blow through it. When it's upside down, you should not. As the needle will be seated in the seat.