Governor Issues

bardpark6

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the governor in my 27hp B&S vertical shaft mower for a zero turn mower. That seemed to go fine. Now the mower will not pick up enough RPMs. The governor is functioning well in terms of adjusting the accelerator and depsite placing a stronger spring on the arm, it will not go fast enough. I can make the engine pick up speed by manually pushing on the carb linkage, but when the engine is running the governor is so strong, that even a srtronger spring only picked up the RPMs to about 1800. Any ideas? It seems that I should not have to place an even stronger spring onto the arm? Ted

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most of those engines have two governor springs. One for an idle spring and then the main spring. the small spring assist the large spring at full rpm. Are you sure both springs are there.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seems strange that the engine speed would change that much by changing the governor gear unless the spring tension tabs were bent in an attempt to reduce the engine speed because of the bad governor.

bardpark6

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree, it is strange and I am the original owner and have never before manipulated any of the linkage. The machine is only 4 years old and has about 80 hrs. OK, well I thought I was missing something really obvious. The new Governor did have a slip of paper with it, indicating that I needed to purchase a new spring based upon the age of my motor, and I did that. It did run faster, but not nearly fast enough to cut any grass. It just seems as if the governor is so strong, it will be hard to find one spring to overcome it. I have felt it while the engine is running and clearly it is functioning in terms of putting tension on the arm.

dfbroxy

Threads
Have you tried to adjust the governor? If not look up how to online and try it. But be warned if you adjust it wrong and over rev the engine it could blow. Watch the vidios and if you are unsure of your skills then get a pro to do it. After changine the internal governor then it should be easy for you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We really need a photo of the linkage.
Those engines come so they can have a push or pull throttle fitted to either side of the carb and it is very easy too get them hooked up wrong.
One even came in with the throttle butterfly flipped to the wrong side of the throttle stop, heaven only knows how they did that because I could not get it back without first removing the disc from the shaft.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Re: Governor Issues - OT

ILengine, where are you? I made a spur of the moment trip thru Beecher City Tuesday and tried to find you. Knot head out on the main drag didn't know of another shop and could hardly converse with him.

Walt Conner