Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

Rear wheel disintegrating

I have an ancient MTD self-propelled mulching walk-behind mower bought in May 1994. One of the rear tires is shredded. I thought I could remove it and bring it to a garden supply center and get the correct replacement. However, when I removed the hub cap, the tire had some kind of gear or ratchet gizmo on it. I tried to turn the center bolt, but it wouldn't budge. I'm an old lady and thought at first I just didn't have the strength, but after sending a photo of it to several hardware stores, the consensus of opinion is that it has something to do with the drive mechanism which, incidentally, no one had seen anything like it before and weren't sure how to proceed in removing the tire. The mower manual doesn't have any info about how to change the tires or even a part number. I tried to find info on the MTD Web site, but the serial number is so old it doesn't apply to walk-behind mowers any longer. It seems such a waste to have to get a new mower when this one still works - it just needs a tire, but trying to work with it is like trying to drive a car with a flat tire. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mower
    lawnboy,honda

Re: Rear wheel disintegrating

I see some wheels on E-bay---634-0020 ,they cost around $30.00.Look some local shop they may have some use good wheels.

Mower
    MTD - Yard Machines

Thank you for your response. However, the problem isn't as much finding a wheel as removing the shredded one.

Mower
    lawnboy,honda

You need pair of wise grips to grab shaft on other side of wheel,and now U should be able to take it OFF.Dan

Mower
    lawnboy,honda

How are things with removing bad wheels.Dan

Mower
    Cub Cadet

Looks to me like you need a recap...lol

The pawl arrangement in the wheel hub is to allow backwards movement and turns while the drive is engaged. Kind of surprised that MTD don't offer a replacement part, did you try them? They have a very comprehensive on line website with manuals and parts for their mowers.

Mower
    Poulan

Same set up on chipper

I have the same ratcheting gear set up on a Yard Man chipper. I'd check nearby mower boneyards for a replacement wheel. Mine came off by removing a cotter pin and the wheel just slid off. Hope this helps. Good luck. Gearjammer