I have a Snapper mower, with the Briggs & Straton 725EX engine & it will not start

Bill440

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I have a Snapper mower, with the Briggs & Straton 725EX engine & it will not start
I have a Snapper mower, with the Briggs & Straton 725EX engine & it will not start

The title, pretty much says it all. I have checked the carburetor and there is gas in the bowl. I removed the spark plug & it doesn't seem to be get a spark. I also checked the sparkplug wire and nothing there, either. I haven't been into a lawn mower engine, for quite a few years, but I imagine that the ignition doesn't consist of the age old points & condenser, as I feel it is probably a sealed unit by now. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you, Bill

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / I have a Snapper mower, with the Briggs & Straton 725EX engine & it will not start
Re: I have a Snapper mower, with the Briggs & Straton 725EX engine & it will not star

The title, pretty much says it all. I have checked the carburetor and there is gas in the bowl. I removed the spark plug & it doesn't seem to be get a spark. I also checked the sparkplug wire and nothing there, either. I haven't been into a lawn mower engine, for quite a few years, but I imagine that the ignition doesn't consist of the age old points & condenser, as I feel it is probably a sealed unit by now. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you, Bill

Does the engine turn over/crank when you turn the key to start?

Hard to tell if you have spark without an in line spark tester.

Bill440

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: I have a Snapper mower, with the Briggs & Straton 725EX engine & it will not star

Does the engine turn over/crank when you turn the key to start?

Hard to tell if you have spark without an in line spark tester.

It is a push mower, for one thing. I realize I didn't specify, I guess I thought That the engine model would be an indication. Anyway. I thought it was because the needle in the carburetor, might be stuck, not letting gas in.
But, I checked and, it has gas in the carburetor. So, that is why I feel that it is in the ignition. The spark plug looks good, though I have no way to check it out, for sure. I have an "in line spark tester & I adjusted it so that any spark at all, should be obvious. I had no spark at all. Just to try to verify that, I even connected the spark plug wire to the plug, held it against a clean metal part of the engine and turned it over. Still no spark.

I am from, back when these engines had a magneto, points & a condenser. I realize things have changed a lot, since then and that is why I am here, to find out what I can out what I am dealing with and so I can get on with getting this thing running again. The grass is growing and I need to get it cut. So, any assist, is sure appreciated.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

It is a push mower, for one thing. I realize I didn't specify, I guess I thought That the engine model would be an indication. Anyway. I thought it was because the needle in the carburetor, might be stuck, not letting gas in.
But, I checked and, it has gas in the carburetor. So, that is why I feel that it is in the ignition. The spark plug looks good, though I have no way to check it out, for sure. I have an "in line spark tester & I adjusted it so that any spark at all, should be obvious. I had no spark at all. Just to try to verify that, I even connected the spark plug wire to the plug, held it against a clean metal part of the engine and turned it over. Still no spark.

I am from, back when these engines had a magneto, points & a condenser. I realize things have changed a lot, since then and that is why I am here, to find out what I can out what I am dealing with and so I can get on with getting this thing running again. The grass is growing and I need to get it cut. So, any assist, is sure appreciated.

So, you have a handle you pull/hold before you try and start.
Check that the cable is doing it's job.
When it is released the mower will not spark...it grounds the coil.
When you pull the handle it must open the kill switch...this could not be working.

You may have to take the engine shroud off to see the action of the bail cable.

Bill440

Forum Newbie
Threads

So, you have a handle you pull/hold before you try and start.
Check that the cable is doing it's job.
When it is released the mower will not spark...it grounds the coil.
When you pull the handle it must open the kill switch...this could not be working.

You may have to take the engine shroud off to see the action of the bail cable.

You know, I never even thought about that being the possible problem. I will sure check that out. Thanks for the
input, sure appreciate it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Pull the cut out wire off the coil.
Start the engine ( well try to ) if it does not start the coil is toast.
If it starts & runs then there is a problem with the kill switch or the wires.

Bill440

Forum Newbie
Threads

Pull the cut out wire off the coil.
Start the engine ( well try to ) if it does not start the coil is toast.
If it starts & runs then there is a problem with the kill switch or the wires.

I appreciate that, I will sure check that out, tomorrow.

Threads

Yes Bert is correct on taking the black wire off of the mag/coil.... That eliminates any possible shorts between the coil and kill cluster.....

When you take air shroud off to do that then you can clean all the debris out of the fins to make sure the engine runs cool.....

If you do have spark and a no start, then you need to address the carb. or possible fuel line blockage........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads

Bill I see you in Perry County........ My sister lived in Houston which is a hop skip and a jump from your town....

That was years ago though............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Bill440

Forum Newbie
Threads

Bill I see you in Perry County........ My sister lived in Houston which is a hop skip and a jump from your town....

That was years ago though............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Pretty cool, I actually live by a Harris Brake Lake & Houston isn't that far away. Also, I greatly appreciate the input here. And I will definitely check that circuit out. I need to get this mower going, as it has been raining off and on and that grass just won't give me a break by waiting for me to get the mower running and just keeps on growing. :rolleyes: More on this, after I check it out more.