cub cadet 1020 hydro seems to be stuck in gear

old tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now have hydro unit out of tractor. Whenever I turn the input pulley the axle shafts and brake disc turn in a forward direction no matter where the forward/reverse lever is positioned. I drained all the oil out of the unit and still the shafts and disc turn when the input pulley is turned. It is as if something inside that is supposed to be free is stuck together. Tractor was left outside for 3 years before it was given to me. Really beautiful condition otherwise and motor runs great. Hate to give up on it. Any ideas?
As a last resort i'm going to take hydro unit apart and have a look inside. Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are no gears as such in the hydro.
The brake axel always spins, it is connected to the box not the wheels and works by locking the diff not the axels.
On the tranny there will be stickers with the makers name & the model numbers WRITE THESE DOWN because they do fall off.

The tranny is not part of the mower so you will now need to go to the tranny makers web site & download the parts break down ans service / repair manuals for your tranny.

Now what is your mower doing or not doing that s causing you grief.

old tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bertsmobile for the reply.
The problem is that there is never a neutral where the input pulley can be turned without the wheels moving forward. I can move the forward/reverse lever on the tranny through it's full range and nothing changes. The lever is not slipping on the shaft so I know something is moving inside. Because the input pulley is always connected to the motor through the drive belt, there has to be a point where the input pulley turns freely, otherwise it is impossible to start the motor. It is just like trying to start a manual tranny car with it in gear and your foot off the clutch.
The hydro tranny is a Sundstrand - Sauer BDU - 10 5 - 214 Tom

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Bertsmobile for the reply.
The problem is that there is never a neutral where the input pulley can be turned without the wheels moving forward. I can move the forward/reverse lever on the tranny through it's full range and nothing changes. The lever is not slipping on the shaft so I know something is moving inside. Because the input pulley is always connected to the motor through the drive belt, there has to be a point where the input pulley turns freely, otherwise it is impossible to start the motor. It is just like trying to start a manual tranny car with it in gear and your foot off the clutch.
The hydro tranny is a Sundstrand - Sauer BDU - 10 5 - 214 Tom

The shift lever could be moving but a pivot point could be frozen or broken going to the transmission.

Follow the linkage all the way to the transmission.

old tom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now have hydro unit out of tractor. Whenever I turn the input pulley the axle shafts and brake disc turn in a forward direction no matter where the forward/reverse lever is positioned. I drained all the oil out of the unit and still the shafts and disc turn when the input pulley is turned. It is as if something inside that is supposed to be free is stuck together. Tractor was left outside for 3 years before it was given to me. Really beautiful condition otherwise and motor runs great. Hate to give up on it. Any ideas?
As a last resort i'm going to take hydro unit apart and have a look inside. Tom

Found the problem!!!
The hydro unit is really a separate part in the drive system and it was not the cause of the tractor getting stuck in gear. The hydro unit, which I never disassembled, is driven by a horizontal shaft that goes through the raduction gears ahead of the differential. One of the reduction gears rotates on this shaft with a caged needle bearing inside. The needle bearing failed and locked the shaft and gear together. Therefor, whenever the input shaft was turned, the tractor wanted to move . This whole drive system, reduction gears, differential, and input shaft is lubricated by grease only. Luckily there was no damage to the shaft or gear. I was able to buy a new bearing locally for $4.45. I almost scraped a 1020 tractor that I was able to fix for less than $5.
I think this bearing could be the source of trouble for others. Tom

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found the problem!!!
The hydro unit is really a separate part in the drive system and it was not the cause of the tractor getting stuck in gear. The hydro unit, which I never disassembled, is driven by a horizontal shaft that goes through the raduction gears ahead of the differential. One of the reduction gears rotates on this shaft with a caged needle bearing inside. The needle bearing failed and locked the shaft and gear together. Therefor, whenever the input shaft was turned, the tractor wanted to move . This whole drive system, reduction gears, differential, and input shaft is lubricated by grease only. Luckily there was no damage to the shaft or gear. I was able to buy a new bearing locally for $4.45. I almost scraped a 1020 tractor that I was able to fix for less than $5.
I think this bearing could be the source of trouble for others. Tom

Thanks for sharing you success and good fix!