Kohler CH730 loss of power

zmcg1995

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2005 Exmark Lazer Z 60" with a 25 Kohler. I have been chasing a loss of power issue for the past couple weeks.

Compression is 130-135 on each cylinder
Replaced all fuel lines, filter, and pump
Replaced air filter
Plugs are clean
Cleaned carb
Replaced intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
All pulleys are rotating fine

Mower idles and throttles up fine but once you put any load on it, it bogs down.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

solefate

Threads
I have a 2005 Exmark Lazer Z 60" with a 25 Kohler. I have been chasing a loss of power issue for the past couple weeks.

Compression is 130-135 on each cylinder
Replaced all fuel lines, filter, and pump
Replaced air filter
Plugs are clean
Cleaned carb
Replaced intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
All pulleys are rotating fine

Mower idles and throttles up fine but once you put any load on it, it bogs down.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked to make sure you're actually firing on both cylinders? Also are you losing/burning any oil?

zmcg1995

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked to make sure you're actually firing on both cylinders? Also are you losing/burning any oil?

Yes I am running on both cylinders and I have some small oil leaks but nothing major.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked to see if both cylinders are firing and carrying their part of the load. You may be running on one cylinder. If you have a good pair of insulated pliers, run the engine at 1/2 throttle and while it is running pull the spark plug wire off, one cylinder at a time. Engine should loose speed when you plug the plug and regain speed when you push it back on. If nothing changes when you pull the plug wire, that cylinder is causing your problem and you’ll have to figure out what’s wrong.

zmcg1995

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have done that and it lowers to the same speed when I unplug each cylinder.
So it is indeed running on both.

solefate

Threads
I have done that and it lowers to the same speed when I unplug each cylinder.
So it is indeed running on both.

Any oil leaking from head gasket? Or excess gas coming out or burning off in the muffler?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does the governor kick in under load? Does the engine spit and sputter under load? Does the engine or blade speed bog down?

zmcg1995

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any oil leaking from head gasket? Or excess gas coming out or burning off in the muffler?

No oil leaks from head gasket. I had an oil leak from the head gasket and I fixed that and that actually seemed to be when the issue started. I believe if I had a blown head gasket I would lose compression in that cylinder.

mhavanti

Threads
Remove the muffler or at least loosen the exhaust flange bolts. Run it up to see if it continues to pull properly. If so, your muffler is being restricted by a collapse inside. Doesn't happen often in the mower world. However, it does happen.

zmcg1995

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the governor kick in under load? Does the engine spit and sputter under load? Does the engine or blade speed bog down?

It doesn't seem like it does. That seems like that is what is missing. It doesn't spit or sputter but it just bogs down. The engine and blade speed bogs down.