Ignition timing on 149 cc Kohler

lazerdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have a Sears Craftsman mower with this engine, and it is dying for a few seconds when mowing, then re-engaging. Sometimes it dies completely. I took the recoil mechanism off and found the coil and a small box that moves toward the flywheel as a brake when the lever is released. (The coil has a wire going to this very small box.). My question is, does that box have electronics in it to fire the ignition coil at the correct time? There does seem to be a magnet or something pressed into the flywheel. Old engines used points. How do the modern Kohlers work?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect that small box is just the kill switch. It grounds the ignition module when you release the ball. that wire on the module is the kill wire, all the electronics for fire are inside the ignition module itself. If you suspect that you are loosing fire then you need to get an inline spark tester, and when the engine starts to die see if you are loosing spark or if something else is going on.

lazerdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I suspect that small box is just the kill switch. It grounds the ignition module when you release the ball. that wire on the module is the kill wire, all the electronics for fire are inside the ignition module itself. If you suspect that you are loosing fire then you need to get an inline spark tester, and when the engine starts to die see if you are loosing spark or if something else is going on.

Hey, Thanks for the reply to my first post here. Therein lies the mystery! The coil has the HV wire to the spark plug, and one other single wire to the small box (3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4) that is insulated from ground with nylon washers and rubs against the fly wheel when the lever is released. No ignition module, so it must be in that tiny box.