Dreaded John Deere SURGING

jjccamis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have read EVERY thread on this forum and preformed ALL the suggestions to solve the surging problem on my JD LA120. Nothing , to this point has stopped the surging, low idle only. Other than the annoying sound it makes, is there any reason I can't run the mower? Runs great at anything above 1/4 throttle. The only part I haven't replaced is the float needle. Could this possibly be the problem? I've had the carb. apart three times. Total frustration! Somebody please send me the magic trick that will fix this issue.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have read EVERY thread on this forum and preformed ALL the suggestions to solve the surging problem on my JD LA120. Nothing , to this point has stopped the surging, low idle only. Other than the annoying sound it makes, is there any reason I can't run the mower? Runs great at anything above 1/4 throttle. The only part I haven't replaced is the float needle. Could this possibly be the problem? I've had the carb. apart three times. Total frustration! Somebody please send me the magic trick that will fix this issue.

JD LA120 is your Mower Model, tells us NOTHING about your engine .. see example ......

GET INFO.JPG .. click to enlarge

jjccamis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs and Stratton Model 441677, Type 0113E1, 21 HP, OVH Twin, Nikki Carb.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should never run your engine at 1/4 throttle anyway. Run it wide open like it is supposed to be and have fun mowing.

jjccamis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree that when mowing, the mower should be run at full throttle. When idling before cutting begins is when the surging occurs.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree that when mowing, the mower should be run at full throttle. When idling before cutting begins is when the surging occurs.

What are you doing sitting around on an idling lawn mower?

If you temporarily push on the choke will it stop the surging?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Mowers have not been idled down before shut off for decades it actually increases the heat in the engine.
If it only surges at idle then the idle fuel circuit in the carb is still blocked.
They can be a bugger to clean and some times they can not.
There is more to cleaning a carb than just a quick squirt of goo.
And yes, mow away.
With a blocked idle circuit the carb will be running a little lean but not enough to worry about

jjccamis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mowers have not been idled down before shut off for decades it actually increases the heat in the engine.
If it only surges at idle then the idle fuel circuit in the carb is still blocked.
They can be a bugger to clean and some times they can not.
There is more to cleaning a carb than just a quick squirt of goo.
And yes, mow away.
With a blocked idle circuit the carb will be running a little lean but not enough to worry about

Thanks, just the answer I am looking for.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Like I said, a lawn mower engine should never be run at 1/4 throttle.