HARD to Start Briggs and Stratton 407777-3195-G5

jawsfree

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having a problem with my Husqvarna YTH22V46 riding mower with a 22-HP Briggs and Stratton® Intek V-Twin motor model # 407777-3195-G5 . It takes several attempts to get it started but once it starts and I drive around one pass to fill grass bags it works fine, it's just the initial start that is a problem. Here is what happens when I attempt to start:

2- 40-60 seconds attempts with choke full on- only small pops
Let sit a few minutes
2- 40-60 seconds attempts with choke full on- small pops then eventually cranks and runs fine.

I have not replace the fuel pump because I assumed if I could get it started at all and it ran fine after getting it started then the fuel pump should be fine. I have also checked the choke and cable, Verified the fuel solenoid, cleaned the carb out, changed the plugs, oil, fuel filters and tried taking gas cap off too but still not luck. Only run non-ethonal fuel. Very frustrating.

Only modification I have made to the mower is bypassed the seat safety cut off. In other words I can get off mower while leaving it running as long as I set the parking brake.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have one throttle/choke control cable or are they separate. it is fairly common for the single control cable system to get some slack in them and not close the choke completely which can make for hard or no start issues. Make sure the choke is closing all the way. It only takes a few thousands from not closing completely to cause the issues that you are having.

jawsfree

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have one throttle/choke control cable or are they separate. it is fairly common for the single control cable system to get some slack in them and not close the choke completely which can make for hard or no start issues. Make sure the choke is closing all the way. It only takes a few thousands from not closing completely to cause the issues that you are having.

It has a single throttle / choke lever. I checked the cable and it appears to work correctly. I will double check.

jawsfree

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I tried adjusting the choke but still no luck. I took the air filter off and spayed starting fluid in but I still won't crank, just goes around and around with some pops and backfiring. I am not sure what else to do but just start replacing parts. I guess I'll start with the fuel pump then the carburetor and keep going until I just replace the entire mower. Whew this thing is wearing me out.

dfbroxy

Threads
Try adjusting the valve lash. Might be your problem and if not its free to check.

jawsfree

Forum Newbie
Threads
update; adjusted everything I can find but no luck. Could it be the Ignition Coil/ magneto? I did order a fuel pump and will try that first but my next step is the coil. Any thoughts?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just a thought, but some other members have had slight cracks in their PLASTIC intake manifolds near the mounting area, if you have a plastic manifold you might care to have a look, another fella said a mounting bolt was really loose ...