Z425 won't stay running

mg8t7gn

Threads
Father in laws Deere. It ran fine last week. It now cranks fine, won't stay running unless we spray short bursts of ether, enough to keep it running. We noticed that there was no fuel in filter. Blew out line from tank to filter, filter to fuel pump. Still have the same problem. It appears to be no fuel to carb. Replace fuel pump and pulse hose. Now it only runs if I give it a quick shot of ether and choke is fully on. Stays running as long as choke is on. Stalls as soon as choke is pushed off. Changed both spark plugs just because we had them. Without the quick shot of ether, it backfires through the carb when cranking. It doesn't seem to have any abnormal noises or mis fires when it is running. I'm leaning towards the carb causing this. Anyting I'm missing in my diagnosis? Thanks.
Mark

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Father in laws Deere. It ran fine last week. It now cranks fine, won't stay running unless we spray short bursts of ether, enough to keep it running. We noticed that there was no fuel in filter. Blew out line from tank to filter, filter to fuel pump. Still have the same problem. It appears to be no fuel to carb. Replace fuel pump and pulse hose. Now it only runs if I give it a quick shot of ether and choke is fully on. Stays running as long as choke is on. Stalls as soon as choke is pushed off. Changed both spark plugs just because we had them. Without the quick shot of ether, it backfires through the carb when cranking. It doesn't seem to have any abnormal noises or mis fires when it is running. I'm leaning towards the carb causing this. Anyting I'm missing in my diagnosis? Thanks.
Mark

You may have air in your lines.
My experience is a diaphragm pump doesn't pump air out of the lines.
I would disconnect fuel line at pump.
Put it into a can. You may need two people/ or clamps tec.
Put a little pressure in your tank opening.
I have done this by holding my air nozzle with my hand and a bag around opening to make somewhat of a seal.
Squeeze a LITTLE air in until gas runs out into the can.
reconnect hose and fire her up!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the fuel line off at the carb, put it in a bottle and crank the engine.
If the filter is good & the pump is good & the fuel lines are good and the tack cap is working the fuel should flow as a strong stream out of the fuel line.
If not you have a fuel supply problem.
Remove the fuel cap & try again.
If you get a better flow then the cap vent is faulty or the tank vent ( if fitted ) is faulty.

Now if you got a good full sized flow ( not a dribble ) out of the fuel pump then you have a problem with the carb or carb solenoid or manifold.

Let us know what the results are for further test / instructions.

mg8t7gn

Threads
K.I.S.S. More of the story comes out. Ran fine then filled tank. Ding ding ding. Took a fuel sample and have water in the fuel. Went and got a bottle of dry gas, but it's pouring down rain. Hopefully tomorrow we'll see how it runs.

mg8t7gn

Threads
Ran flawlessly for 3 hours. Thanks for all the suggestions. They will go into memory for future diagnosis.