Spindle nut?

Threads
I had to replace the bearings in my deck spindle does anyone know the torque spec for the spindle nut on top of the pulley? It is a ys4500 with the 54" deck if that helps any..

Threads
Anyone have any guess on this question?:smile:

Threads
As tight as you can get it without it causing problerms with the spindle turning,

Thats what the guy at the parts store said but when i did it snapped the end off the spindle threads and all.. I have always tightned them this way before but for some reason this one broke. It makes me wonder if they have changed the material to something with less strength that requires a different torque rating..

Duffer72

Threads
What are you using to tighten them ???:confused2: if there is a lock nut or a lock washer under the nut hand tighted with a good size wrench or ratchet handle should be enough, I normally use a 3/8 drive impact wrench, I have never snapped one off,

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Wjjones: "Thats what the guy at the parts store said but when i did it snapped the end off the spindle threads and all.. I have always tightned them this way before but for some reason this one broke. It makes me wonder if they have changed the material to something with less strength that requires a different torque rating.. "

Funny you mention that- one time on my 99 pickup i was tightening the lug nuts - i snapped the dang wheel stud right off - all the years of tightening wheels - not even on my rusty old 75 LTD or 89 F150 did i have that happen - couldve been a faulty or weak metal.

Do you still have the broken mandrel? Id contact sears about it and file a complaint about the replacement mandrel.

Threads
Wjjones: "Thats what the guy at the parts store said but when i did it snapped the end off the spindle threads and all.. I have always tightned them this way before but for some reason this one broke. It makes me wonder if they have changed the material to something with less strength that requires a different torque rating.. "

Funny you mention that- one time on my 99 pickup i was tightening the lug nuts - i snapped the dang wheel stud right off - all the years of tightening wheels - not even on my rusty old 75 LTD or 89 F150 did i have that happen - couldve been a faulty or weak metal.

Do you still have the broken mandrel? Id contact sears about it and file a complaint about the replacement mandrel.

Or maybe we need to lay off the wheaties, vitamins, and milk for awhile...:laughing:....:laughing:..

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
I had to replace the mandrel ( just the bering housing - the spindle part was original) on my '90 murray the other day - the bottom blade holder nut was a bear getting off ( have to to keep blade from spinning) - had to remove pulley- that nut was also a serious pain to remove .

When i put it all back together, I didnt spare any strength puttin em back on - i cranked the heck out of em, because i also had to draw the piece on the bottom in - it didnt break on me - that was a factory mandrel from 1990 that i replaced.

I bet your first mandrel was made in china - cheep crap.....

Threads
I had to replace the mandrel ( just the bering housing - the spindle part was original) on my '90 murray the other day - the bottom blade holder nut was a bear getting off ( have to to keep blade from spinning) - had to remove pulley- that nut was also a serious pain to remove .

When i put it all back together, I didnt spare any strength puttin em back on - i cranked the heck out of em, because i also had to draw the piece on the bottom in - it didnt break on me - that was a factory mandrel from 1990 that i replaced.

I bet your first mandrel was made in china - cheep crap.....

Yeah that, and i think it may have been cracked from putting it on before with the impact wrench. I used my torque wrench, and cranked them down to 150 ft lbs they seem to be pretty snugg for now..