Echo srm2400 idle issue

Snapperfreak

Threads
This trimmer I bought used a few years ago. Had the crab cleaned and replaced the fuel lines, filter and air filter. It runs great and the idle screw is set so that the head does not spin while at idle. But afte using it for a few minutes and set it down to idle the rpms have increased enough so that the head is spinning quite fast. I can dial back down the idle screw by then it will be set too low. Question is what could be causing the engine idle to increase after it has warmed up?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The idle gets set when hot so you run for 15 minutes then set it
Sounds like you might need to open up the idle needle ( fuel needle ) a touch and it is running a little lean at idle when it gets hot

Snapperfreak

Threads
Again, thank you for the good info sir! I will work on that (and my 2100) as soon as I can this week and report back.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Well I went to use the 2400 this morning and got it to start up fine but couldn't even get it warmed up to adjust the idle screw. Died on me (as it has bevfore) after a couple minutes of use. Would not rev up past about 1/4 throttle (it was going to wot no problem last time I used it) so this is just going to be on the back burner until I feel like messing with it again. Will start with a new carb, lines, etc when I'm ready to work on it. However the 2100 was perfect when I switched to it after the 2400 konked out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you believe in ghosts ?or more important do you leave your tool where they can see the television :laughing:

Not taking full throttle is a main jet problem.
Do your carbs have adjustable jets ?
Blue smoke will either just pick up speed slightly then die ( not enough fuel ) or 8 stroke and die ( too much fuel ).
8 stroking is the sound you hear at idle the sort of intermittent firing and generally will also throw some dark smoke from the exhaust.
Around 1/4 throttle the carb main jet kicks in so you are running on both the idle & main jet so if either one it badly adjusted or blocked that is when the problems become most apparent.
Again it is al explained i the Walbro manual which is free.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Ghosts here are entirely possible. I've adjusted the carb as best as I could going by the manual and no better. BUT. I just installed a brand new carb I just got off eBay. Yes it's a cheapie from china but I figured why not try it. Put new plug in, purged just til fuel was in the line, full choke and it fired on the second pull. Half choke and it started right up. Left choke at half for about 5 seconds then choke off and it was running perfectly. Let it warm up as out half a minute and slowly opened the throttle. No bogging. From what I can tell it's finally running as it should. Next time I mow I'll use it and see how it goes.