JD 160

tink5610

Threads
Trying to get some help with my 160 with fb460v engine won't crank when it gets hot but when it cools off it will start any help would be appricated

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Trying to get some help with my 160 with fb460v engine won't crank when it gets hot but when it cools off it will start any help would be appricated

First we need to under stand what you are saying. When you turn the key the engine does what? Crank means the engine is turning over. Start means the engine is running. So now give us a detailed description of what happens when you have the problem. We are not there and have no idea what is happening un less you tell us.

tink5610

Threads
Thanks for you reply but if you read the post you would see that it won't crank when it gets hot (when I turn the key it won't do anything ) but after it cools off it will crank and start and run fine.The starter and solinoid were replaced about a year ago tested the switch and it is good. By the way I know the difference between crank, start, and run hope this helps you.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry about talking down to you. Was not on purpose.
When it does not start have you tried jumping the solenoid?

tink5610

Threads
I have not tried that but will next time it acts up. I read somewhere could be the regulator/rectifier but I think they are a little pricey and I don't really want to just throw parts at it.Is there any way to check it to see if the regulator is possibly breaking down when it gets hot?Thanks for your help
Larry

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Regulator has nothing to do with starting. Battery, key switch, brake switch, PTO switch, solenoid, and starter are what is in the starting circuit. I may not have gotten all of them in there but that's the gist of it.

tink5610

Threads
Thanks, I guessI have a little more trouble shooting to do.Thanks again for your help

Larry