No start, no current to white wire on solenoid

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, so you have a 4 pole solenoid, two big ones for the starter power and two small ones for the control ( trigger ) .
In that case one of the control wires should go + 12V when the key is in the start position.
The other wire must go to ground when the key is in the start position.
The latter is done via a relay.
The concept of switching grounds on & off confuses a lot of people.

I am sorry, I should have looked up your actual wiring diagram before posting my response.
Usually yellow, white or orange coloured wires are used for the + 12V trigger and brown, green or black for the - trigger.

I can not get a wiring diagram for Hayter on line so it will be difficult to work this through with you without one.
From memory they are the UK brand for Stiga made by Global Garden Products.
There should be a wiring diagram in your owners manual if so could you scan it and then post it to the forum you will get better solutions.

If you have a 4 pole solenoid it should close & crank the engine when one of the trigger wires is +12V and the other is ground.
If you have a 3 pole solenoid it should fire when the trigger wire ( the one near the bottom with it's own spade terminal ) is 12V and the body is ground

So jump the trigger terminals and see what happens.

a photo would help a lot as people get confused with the power take off from the hot terminal on the top of the solenoid.
As for your lights, there are 2 systems used
1) runs them off the battery
2) other runs them off the alternator so they only work when the engine is running.

Threads
I am hoping someone may have solution for this. I am proud to own my late father's old (mid to late 1980's?) Craftsman LawnRider, #model 917.256322, serial #0931S02493. It has always been very well maintained and stored indoors. When I tried to start it for this first time this season, I have fully charged battery, and when I turn the key, nothing. No clicking, no noise, nothing. I used jumper cable and connected positive post on the battery to the red post on the starter, and then the starter turns over. I really need to start it with the key. The white wire going into the solenoid has no current going to it. There are no breaks in the wires. Yes, I have current coming out of the white wire that exits the ignition switch. The two white wires on the clutch safety switch, and the two wires on the PTO safety switch, have NO current. Should I also be looking at the seat switch? I did hold the spring-activated metal plate that is under my seat, in the "there is a person sitting here" position with some tools, and I then tested for current in the two wires going into the wiring harness that enters that metal spring plate, and there is no current for both of those wires. The starter motor is fine, and I don't think the solenoid is bad, either. Any ideas? Most people I know would approach this as "oh well, time to buy a new tractor". I am not from that school of thought (or that tax bracket). This is a perfectly good machine that has been highly maintained and pampered, it simply needs a diagnosis on what likely is a $15 part.

Threads
I am hoping someone may have solution for this. I am proud to own my late father's old (mid to late 1980's?) Craftsman LawnRider, #model 917.256322, serial #0931S02493. It has always been very well maintained and stored indoors. When I tried to start it for this first time this season, I have fully charged battery, and when I turn the key, nothing. No clicking, no noise, nothing. I used jumper cable and connected positive post on the battery to the red post on the starter, and then the starter turns over. I really need to start it with the key. The white wire going into the solenoid has no current going to it. There are no breaks in the wires. Yes, I have current coming out of the white wire that exits the ignition switch. The two white wires on the clutch safety switch, and the two wires on the PTO safety switch, have NO current. Should I also be looking at the seat switch? I did hold the spring-activated metal plate that is under my seat, in the "there is a person sitting here" position with some tools, and I then tested for current in the two wires going into the wiring harness that enters that metal spring plate, and there is no current for both of those wires. The starter motor is fine, and I don't think the solenoid is bad, either. Any ideas? Most people I know would approach this as "oh well, time to buy a new tractor". I am not from that school of thought (or that tax bracket). This is a perfectly good machine that has been highly maintained and pampered, it simply needs a diagnosis on what likely is a $15 part.

Threads

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Everyone note - this is an old thread and the new poster has not listed his model or serial number

I am new at this mate, i have the exact same problem, sounds like the same old Craftsman mid 80's, i'll start at the clutch / brake switch, if i can find it, Cheers

get a 12V light tester at your local FLAPS or HF and use that to probe for 12V. If the light comes on you have 12V. Just follow the path going backwards from the solenoid until you find 12V. That will tell you which switch, relay, fuse, or coupling is the defect.

Threads

Threads

Threads