Repairs New Drive Belt Will Not Propel Lawn Tractor

BiC

Threads
Hello,

Lawn Tractor: Craftsman YS4500
Model: 917.276680

I'm trying to figure out why my lawn tractor will not self-propel. Background on what led to the issue- I was mowing down some tall grasses and suddenly my lawn tractor would not self-propel. I thought the drive belt had become worn and was slipping, so I ordered a new one. I replaced the drive belt on my tractor with the recommended part number (140218), but as you can see in the posted video, it is very loose and will not propel my tractor as it should. Although it is the correct part number, perhaps this belt should not be advertised as fitting my tractor?

Do you see anything in the video I am missing that could be the problem? Thank you for your time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
that belt is way too long.
Also grab the pulley on top of the box and check that it has not stripped on the shaft.

Did you check the old belt against the new one for length ?
Belts do not stretch they get thinner so sit deeper in the pulleys and become looser.

usual sign of a wearing belt is the mower will only travel at low speeds and won't pull up hills
Instant stopping is generally something broken or brake jambed on.

BiC

Threads
that belt is way too long.
Also grab the pulley on top of the box and check that it has not stripped on the shaft.

Did you check the old belt against the new one for length ?
Belts do not stretch they get thinner so sit deeper in the pulleys and become looser.

usual sign of a wearing belt is the mower will only travel at low speeds and won't pull up hills
Instant stopping is generally something broken or brake jambed on.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did check the belt against the old one. It seemed OK.

I failed to mention that upon inspection when my tractor would barely propel, I found that the idler pulley was bad. You should be able to see on the video that I did replace that pulley. Now, which pulley are you talking about when you say "on top of the box." Pardon my ignorance. Perhaps you can direct me to that pulley using the video as a reference. Thank you.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did check the belt against the old one. It seemed OK.

I failed to mention that upon inspection when my tractor would barely propel, I found that the idler pulley was bad. You should be able to see on the video that I did replace that pulley. Now, which pulley are you talking about when you say "on top of the box." Pardon my ignorance. Perhaps you can direct me to that pulley using the video as a reference. Thank you.

Looks to me as though your belt is NOT properly routed ...... check your manual for proper installation.....looks like its on wrong side of the black pulley ...
took a look at a manual ... it DOES appear the belt is on the wrong side of the black stationary pulley..the FLAT side of the belt should be touching the pulley ( its NOT a V pulley ..is it ..?? ) see pic attached ..notice belt pinched
give it try ...
belt.JPG

Last edited:

BiC

Threads
Looks to me as though your belt is NOT properly routed ...... check your manual for proper installation.....looks like its on wrong side of the black pulley ...

Thank you for the reply. It is correctly routed according to the diagram on my tractor's undercarriage.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you for the reply. It is correctly routed according to the diagram on my tractor's undercarriage.

Whatever ....!!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just watched the video.
The dang belt is on wrong

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

BiC

Threads
Whatever ....!!!!

Here's the diagram (don't know why the forum loads it sideways).

Is the routing diagram on my tractor (and in my owner's manual) wrong?

I am following the diagram from the front of the tractor (engine pulley) to the rear.

(PULLEY DIAGRAM.jpg

BiC

Threads
Just watched the video.
The dang belt is on wrong

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Is the routing diagram on my tractor (and in my owner's manual) wrong?

I am following the diagram from the front of the tractor (engine pulley) to the rear.