The Daily Yardman Thread

Pumper54

Threads
Re: MTD Yardman Transaxle Rebuild

Hey everyone looks who is back. ME LMAO sorry it has been a while but life got in the way and I think I will be more active here now. You all have a great day.
Tom

Last edited:

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hey everyone looks who is back. ME LMAO sorry it has been a while but life got in the way and I think I will be more active here now. Who all have a great day.
Tom

snoopy1.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

I think Tom accidentally stumbled on the forum and caught sight of the mornin girlie pics, .. :laughing:..:laughing:

OK tom, any cross-country motorcycle trips upcoming,?? we don't wanna have to go the rescue & recovery operations AGAIN !!!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

Personally, since retiring, I rather look forward to Mondays:
Streets and stores are less crowded, and more web activity............

View attachment 39911

Actually us RETIRED folks DON'T have any more weekdays, WE... have 6 Saturdays & 1 Sunday !! .. :thumbsup:

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hey everyone looks who is back. ME LMAO sorry it has been a while but life got in the way and I think I will be more active here now. Who all have a great day.
Tom

Hey Tom!! Welcome back!!

I was wondering if any of the pictures the guys have been posting look anything like Gretchen Prieto?

Roger

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
2" X 72" Belt Grinder Project

I 'think I told you guys some time ago that I was working on building a 2" belt grinder. Well, today I finally got it finished enough to try it out.

The frame is welded up out of square steel tubing salvaged from a workout station/weight lifting bench I got for free off of Craig's List.

The DCV motor and motor controller were also obtained for free from a treadmill I found on Craig's List. The rest of the parts are all from stuff I had in my shop except a 5K ohm potentiometer for the speed control. I bought that from Amazon for a few bucks.

Unfortunately I quickly discovered several issues.. (I love that word - "issues". . . . In most cases it usually means F-ups, including this one.)

First the large 'work-wheel' isn't really round. It was probably great for the lawn mower, or whatever I got it off from, but at any speed, it is a problem.

The bearings in the idler/tensioner/adjustor - wheel, also came from the workout bench and were designed for very slow rotation. (Like pulling weights up and down by hand.) They got hot as hell in a very short period of time.

The adjustor mechanism needs to be 'tuned' as it doesn't hold the idler wheel on exactly on the same axis as the motor drive wheel and working wheel.

However, it did work! The belt went around and I could grind on it, it just isn't the smoothly operating machine I was hoping for.... Yet!

It's a heavy machine though, I'm guessing 50 pounds or so.

Back to the "Seat-of-the-Pants" design board..

Roger

Attachments

• DSCN2336.jpg
    DSCN2336.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2337.jpg
    DSCN2337.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN2338.jpg
    DSCN2338.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 3

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: 2" X 72" Belt Grinder Project

I 'think I told you guys some time ago that I was working on building a 2" belt grinder. Well, today I finally got it finished enough to try it out.

The frame is welded up out of square steel tubing salvaged from a workout station/weight lifting bench I got for free off of Craig's List.

The DCV motor and motor controller were also obtained for free from a treadmill I found on Craig's List. The rest of the parts are all from stuff I had in my shop except a 5K ohm potentiometer for the speed control. I bought that from Amazon for a few bucks.

Unfortunately I quickly discovered several issues.. (I love that word - "issues". . . . In most cases it usually means F-ups, including this one.)

First the large 'work-wheel' isn't really round. It was probably great for the lawn mower, or whatever I got it off from, but at any speed, it is a problem.

The bearings in the idler/tensioner/adjustor - wheel, also came from the workout bench and were designed for very slow rotation. (Like pulling weights up and down by hand.) They got hot as hell in a very short period of time.

The adjustor mechanism needs to be 'tuned' as it doesn't hold the idler wheel on exactly on the same axis as the motor drive wheel and working wheel.

However, it did work! The belt went around and I could grind on it, it just isn't the smoothly operating machine I was hoping for.... Yet!

It's a heavy machine though, I'm guessing 50 pounds or so.

Back to the "Seat-of-the-Pants" design board..

Roger

Y'orta use a pneumatic bike tire rather than the solid one.
It would have variable give when you were polishing against it depending on tire air pressure, and it would
facilitate replacing the belt by deflating/reinflating the tire.
Neat machine!!
Reflects some under-the-sea thinking!

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
You-know-what post

I just had some Crown Prince sardines in Mustard Sauce for lunch.
Them Moroccans got a REAL strange idea as to shat mustard is..................
But, they WERE good !

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Blast Cabinet Lighting

Ron,

I had to laugh! You're right.. That "kit" certainly would be easy to duplicate! Two very cheap flood light holders, two even cheaper Raco 660 Handi boxes, two still cheaper Handi box covers with 1/2" K.O. 's And a couple not so cheap PAR 30 Halogen flood light bulbs.

I do hope you noticed they mentioned those bulbs run hot! That is an understatement! Those suckers would burn holes through your cabinet mounted gloves!! PAR 30 floods can be had in LED form (for even more money) and they run cool as cucumbers.. But that whole rig is going to project down into your work space and be in the way when you flip brake drums around to access every side.. You might also consider that the bulbs will be below the top of your viewing window, throwing light right in your face. As a lighting designer for nearly 40 years, I can't say I would recommend that arrangement.

Trust me, buy a cheap undercabinet LED light strip with a lens (or even with out) and use that. No heat, LOTS of light and No interference.. Plus much lower energy consumption... If you have space above your cabinet you can mount a Handi box on top, run your wire up into it and have the ON/OFF switch right there for easy access.

Rog

I will look into the undercounter LED as you suggested.
Doesn't the lens of the light fixture get scratched up and dim the light?
Do you just replace at that point?
As for lamps protruding into the work area, remember that I am working with the larger cabinet than yours..........