Steering Sector & Pinion Gear Replacement - HOW TO VIDEO

phil crockett

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Steering Sector & Pinion Gear Replacement - HOW TO VIDEO
I replaced my steering gears on my JD LA145, and posted it on YouTube. I couldn't believe all the hits it started getting in such a short time. This MUST be a common issue with these mowers. So...... I thought I'd share it with other JD owners on this forum to see if it would help them too.

https://youtu.be/lZMC452BiE0?list=PLVsE0UnhDiasJhmwgNcOim3R8uLrPG0-_

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I replaced my steering gears on my JD LA145, and posted it on YouTube. I couldn't believe all the hits it started getting in such a short time. This MUST be a common issue with these mowers. So...... I thought I'd share it with other JD owners on this forum to see if it would help them too.

https://youtu.be/lZMC452BiE0?list=PLVsE0UnhDiasJhmwgNcOim3R8uLrPG0-_

Thanks for the link.
Nice video, definatley a cut above the normal You tube ego massage .

Not meaning to nit pick but the only thing you missed was to use the center alignment hole in the plate to make sure it was strait before the pinion is placed on the shaft.
The hole is there to make aligning easy so you may as well use it.
The plate should be lubed before it is replaced . The usual reason for replacement is wear at the fan gear allowing just the tips of the teeth to come into contact.
All JD machines have parts breakdowns available on the web from
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt
Would be good if you add that information to your video.

phil crockett

Forum Newbie
Threads
where should the grease be applied?

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Excellent video! I lube my steering & sector gears with Lucas #2 sticky grease. Yes I add grease at every service, just a small amount to cover teeth, gear. It will last for months if your just mowing your own yard. Yes a little grass & dirt will accumulate over time. I look at it this way, when you have gears meshing dry how long are they going to last? I wipe sector & pinion off with shop towel before applying fresh grease each time of service. You will notice an improvement in ease of steering also when grease is applied. Premature wear of sector & pinion gears is the result of no lubricant, running dry. Even running dry sector & pinion will accumulate grass & dirt. I also lube all moving parts that do not have grease fittings with lubricating oil in a spray can, or just use oil squirt gun. Parts will operate more efficiently when lubed at every service. You can also purchase Lithium grease in a spray can for lubing all moving parts. Suggestion: if & when you purchase new spindles without grease fittings, drill & tap for grease fittings.

Last edited:

phil crockett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark for the tip. Do you have to keep adding the grease to it over time? I have an old friend that's been working on these for 35 years, and he never mentioned the grease when I showed him the video before I published it. I guess I could still work it in. How long does the grease last? It doesn't gum up with dirt and grass? I remember the days when we were taught to soak our long guns in WD40. Then they said you want it dry to the touch due to the dirt and grim gumming on it. I just never know anymore. Wish everything had zerks! Even the factory spindles don't have them.
Thanks for info on the type of grease. I appreciate it!

mjb8fj

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And now I am going to muddy the waters.
When replacing the fan gear I coat the pivot end with marine grease because of its superior water resistance.
The nylon bush gets Tri-Flo which is another dry lubricant used on push bike gear cables.
Just a couple of drops.
During a service the shaft gets a couple of drops of Tri-Flo again after the whole mower including the steering shaft has been cleaned with compressed air to the point it does not send up dust clouds
I use dry lithium spray grease on the fan gear, flex the gear to get the best gap at the pivot then push the tube on the spary can hard into the crevice and give it a good blast.
Another shot between the plate & the fan gear.
Some more of the same all over the teeth of both gears while going lock to lock. Another good shot on the slots and guide , retaining bolt.
A bit more around the tie rod ends both ends of the drag rods.
Yes I use a lot about 1 can for each 3 - 4 mowers I service but I get it wholesale.
There is another bush of sorts at the to of the steering stem and it gets some Innox fron a trigger pack, never WD 40 which softens nylon.
Dry Lithium greas gets sprayed on every place when two pieces of metal move against each other, every rod shaft & lever every spring anchor .