89 John Deere 285 hydro bypass won't work

deckeda

Threads
How do you take the seat and stuff off as one unit....I have a crane truck to lift it

1) When you tilt the seat you see 2 bolts; remove. 13mm socket. Removing the gas cap is optional but it shouldn't catch if you watch for it.

2) Underneath EACH foot rest are four sets of nuts/bolts. The front one, leave it as it attaches the foot rest to the center section. The outer rear one, leave it as it attaches the foot rest to the seat pan. Remove the inner rear set. Notice how it goes through the frame ear whereas the outer rear doesn't. Also 13mm. The CENTER one gets removed. Use a 13mm socket on the inside of the frame channel and another 13mm socket for the nut facing the outside. Remove the bolt. There will be a fat spacer or ferrule you can't see yet ... it'll fall to the floor later ... that secures the gap between foot rest/center section and frame.

3) Lift the hood and remove the 13mm bolts on each side securing the lower plastic piece below the dash. (I don't think the center section will clear it otherwise.)

4) That mower deck height adjuster knob ... get about a 3/4" or so long handle wrench for the securing nut below it. Put a rag over the knob and turn the knob counterclockwise, holding the wrench still. I may have used channel locks or other large pliers on the knob. A second person helps a bunch here if the knob's tight. The knob's stout enough to grip tightly with large pliers but use the rag on it anyway to protect it.

5) Grip the shifter knob to unscrew it.

6) Disconnect the deck left arm ... lower the arm and lock it there. It's two bolts should clear the rear tire better now. 17mm I think. (I haven't done this with mower deck installed, so the sprung assist will feel weird.)

7) Watch the seat switch harness as it exits the hole when the pan lifts off.

8) There's a plug on the tank for the gas level sensor. Also, when lifting the gas tank it's easy to accidentally yank the hose off of the steel line on the frame. Take care there. I did that the first time, sending crud into the steel line and then had to remove all of that and blow air through it etc. Might be best to spray clean the outside of the fuel line before lifting the gas tank away.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a crane, drop the tranny out the bottom.It is only 6 bolts & a couple of pins.
lot quicker & easier than trying to pull the body apart.