Brand New Kohler 7000 series Stalls After Warm up

Dpmulvan

Threads
Just think I Made a Mistake buying a mower with a kohler 7000 series engine on it. It's got less than two hours on it and stalls,loses power or just quits after warm up. Dealer got my cash now doesn't really care, any help would be great.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER IT IS COVERED BY WARRANTTEE
If the dealer you bought t from is being a PIA then park it in front of his driveway with a big sign with all of your problems on it Saturday & Sunday ( if they are open )
Ring the local TV and newspapers, they love these types of stories.
The dealer will suddenly become very co-operative.

OTOH if you got it home and fired it up without oil in the engine or no filter then you are out of luck although the dealer should have supplied it ready to mow.

funflyer

Threads
Just think I Made a Mistake buying a mower with a kohler 7000 series engine on it. It's got less than two hours on it and stalls,loses power or just quits after warm up. Dealer got my cash now doesn't really care, any help would be great.

Did you use fresh gas in it?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Let me guess a hustler?

Dpmulvan

Threads
Turns out it's not hustlers fault. A casting flaw in an oil galley screws up crankcase pressure causing fuel pump to not operate correctly. Kohler should have put out a bulletin to let consumers know.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Turns out it's not hustlers fault. A casting flaw in an oil galley screws up crankcase pressure causing fuel pump to not operate correctly. Kohler should have put out a bulletin to let consumers know.

In a way it is Hustlers fault. The Kohler 7000 series engine is a relatively new engine, it's only been around for a couple of years. It's not surprising that it will or would have some issues. I'm guessing the reason that Excel / Hustler went with the Kohler over Kawasaki was price. The Hustler raptor or raptor sd will be cheaper to produce with the Kohler engine vs the Kawasaki. It basically comes down to how much money Excel can make or pocket.

Dpmulvan

Threads
I totally agree unfortunately I had to buy what I could afford. Much rather have a Honda or Kawasaki motor.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I totally agree unfortunately I had to buy what I could afford. Much rather have a Honda or Kawasaki motor.

I've run both Kohler and Kawasaki Engines and the Kohler is a good engine and they back what they sell. I ran the Kohler Courage for a number of years and never had any issues when everyone was saying they were a bad engine but you could never prove it by me. I'm running the Kawasaki engines at the present time and never had any issues with them but there are those who condemn them also. There's really not an engine made that can't have an issue on occasion or a particular line or run, it happens.

I don't blame Hustler for trying to make the most money than can for there product and they have always made a great mower, one of the best going but they should do better at there residential units. They had a reasonably good unit with the the Raptor when they used the FR series Kawasaki. Honda makes a good engine but unfortunately they never had any success with there bigger engines in the commercial line of mowers, there great if you like the push mowers.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've run both Kohler and Kawasaki Engines and the Kohler is a good engine and they back what they sell. I ran the Kohler Courage for a number of years and never had any issues when everyone was saying they were a bad engine but you could never prove it by me. I'm running the Kawasaki engines at the present time and never had any issues with them but there are those who condemn them also. There's really not an engine made that can't have an issue on occasion or a particular line or run, it happens.

I don't blame Hustler for trying to make the most money than can for there product and they have always made a great mower, one of the best going but they should do better at there residential units. They had a reasonably good unit with the the Raptor when they used the FR series Kawasaki. Honda makes a good engine but unfortunately they never had any success with there bigger engines in the commercial line of mowers, there great if you like the push mowers.
Speaking of Kohler Courage, I have had one since 2008, it swallowed a valve, trashed the head and piston in 2012. In favor of Kohler, belive it or not, Kohler supplied a new short block and head no charge. I had to pay the labor, no problem to me after four years. Now THAT is warranty!!!!!!!!!!

Just purchased a new Cub Cadet steering wheel zero turn with the 7000 series on it, hope it treats me as well.