I JUST HAVE TO KNOW !!!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there any truth to the statements, that soaking, ...... your package, spool, container or whatever it comes in/on of trimmer line, in WATER , will improve its life span ??? I've run across this issue quite a few times in various forums , and now my curiosity is peaked , water affecting nylon/plastic .... I'm doubtful, possibly a petroleum product or chemical may affect it in some way !!!! OK fella's .......... lets hear it !!! Boobala ...:confused2: :anyone:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes.
The pollymers used in trimmer line dry out .
Most are cellulose based plastics so they will break down relatively quickly when exposed to UV and weather.
If not we would be knee deep in trimmer line.
takes about 3 months in a compost heap.
Keeping them under water prevents them drying out so they will be just as flexiable when you install them as they were when they were made.
They will not improve nor will you get improved life from them, they just degrade slower.
For commercial operators who go through line fairly quickly and who buy better quality line it will make little difference but for home owners who go through 1 donut of line every 3 years ir does make a difference.
OTOH, cheap low quality line will always be cheap low quality line.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I keep my line in the truck so the sun does not get to it.
I see guys with big spools of line on a rack on their trailer.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I keep my line in the truck so the sun does not get to it.
I see guys with big spools of line on a rack on their trailer.

We keep ours in the cargo trailer and buy a 3# roll at the time. I am on my second one of those already this season. Not sure how I would keep mine soaked.

zmister11

Threads
We keep ours in the cargo trailer and buy a 3# roll at the time. I am on my second one of those already this season. Not sure how I would keep mine soaked.

If your already on your second roll this year, then it shoudnt have already dried out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
We only add line to the trimmer about once every two weeks. Depending on who uses it. Some people add line every day. My wife can go two weeks trimming the same yards.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there any truth to the statements, that soaking, ...... your package, spool, container or whatever it comes in/on of trimmer line, in WATER , will improve its life span ??? I've run across this issue quite a few times in various forums , and now my curiosity is peaked , water affecting nylon/plastic .... I'm doubtful, possibly a petroleum product or chemical may affect it in some way !!!! OK fella's .......... lets hear it !!! Boobala ...:confused2: :anyone:

Yeah there's truth to the statement. Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle when it's subjected to heat and sunlight. Oregon Gator line says or strongly recommends on there label to soak there line for 24 hours before use to reduce brittleness. I agree with Bert if you're a homeowner and not using your trimmer and trimmer line on a daily basis then you probably need to soak the stuff but if your in the business and use your trimmers daily or go through a couple of 3 or 5lb spools in a season it's not going to make a difference. It all depends on how you use the stuff and the type, size and quality line you buy.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yeah there's truth to the statement. Any monofilament trimmer line can lose moisture over time or become brittle when it's subjected to heat and sunlight. Oregon Gator line says or strongly recommends on there label to soak there line for 24 hours before use to reduce brittleness. I agree with Bert if you're a homeowner and not using your trimmer and trimmer line on a daily basis then you probably need to soak the stuff but if your in the business and use your trimmers daily or go through a couple of 3 or 5lb spools in a season it's not going to make a difference. It all depends on how you use the stuff and the type, size and quality line you buy.

And what I foiled to mention is the moisture lass is around 4:1 biased towards the ends over the sides, that is just a factor of extrusion.
The original "store under water" was issued for the pre cut lengths used principally by trade with the draganfly type cutting head and thick line.
And as Ric mentioned, quality makes a big difference $ 2 line is $ 2 line for a very good reason.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
some trimmer line rolls have a sponge in the center to hold and dispense moisture when being stored