JD, Gravely or Hustler...

mich3210

Threads
Based on my budget of $4000 or less, and the dealers I've spoken with, I'm looking at one of the following models:

JD z435 with 48" deck with B&S Cyclone
JD z445 with 48" deck and Kawisaki
Hustler Raptor SD with 48" deck and Kohler
Gravely ZT XL with 42" or 52" deck and Kohler

Which of these will give the best cut quality? Which will last the longest? Which will be the most dependable?

Is there another brand that I should consider? I need to finance, so used is kind of out of the question. I can't go any higher on the budget either.

Thanks!

mich3210

Threads
214 views, and not a single reply..... really?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I nothing wrong with any of the brands you mention. If I was looking for a new mower it would be a Ferris other then that it would be a John Deere. Don't like the cost of Kawasaki parts so that would be my last choice of engines. That is a big investment so buy what fells best for you.

mich3210

Threads
I nothing wrong with any of the brands you mention. If I was looking for a new mower it would be a Ferris other then that it would be a John Deere. Don't like the cost of Kawasaki parts so that would be my last choice of engines. That is a big investment so buy what fells best for you.

Ferris are nice... but not in my budget.

Everyone says that the Kawasaki motors are the best and most reliable.... I guess I didn't realize that they were more expensive to fix if they broke. Do you know anything about the B&S Cyclonic motors that are in the Deere's?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ferris are nice... but not in my budget.

Everyone says that the Kawasaki motors are the best and most reliable.... I guess I didn't realize that they were more expensive to fix if they broke. Do you know anything about the B&S Cyclonic motors that are in the Deere's?

I didn't say Kawasaki was a bad engine but also I don't see where they are any better. Parts are expensive but I find Kawasaki seems to be on the top of the price list. I see more Kawasaki engine repairs in my shop then any other brand which means nothing because its a very popular engine. If you like the John Deere with the Kawasaki I say buy it. Have you priced the Ferris? My brother-in -law had a Gravely and loved it and I don't recall that he ever had any problems with it. Hustler is something I never had any experience with because no dealers around us. I say buy what you like the looks and feel of. I do like the John Deere because we have a very good dealer system here in our county.

mich3210

Threads
I didn't say Kawasaki was a bad engine but also I don't see where they are any better. Parts are expensive but I find Kawasaki seems to be on the top of the price list. I see more Kawasaki engine repairs in my shop then any other brand which means nothing because its a very popular engine. If you like the John Deere with the Kawasaki I say buy it. Have you priced the Ferris? My brother-in -law had a Gravely and loved it and I don't recall that he ever had any problems with it. Hustler is something I never had any experience with because no dealers around us. I say buy what you like the looks and feel of. I do like the John Deere because we have a very good dealer system here in our county.

I'm down in the Binghamton NY area, and I know that we have a good JD Dealer network in this area too with Lindsey Lawn & Garden. That's one of the reasons that I'm leaning towards John Deere.

I don't know a whole lot about Ferris, but it looks like the only ones that come in a 48" deck are the F160z and the IS600z. I can call the dealer again and see what I get for a quote.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm down in the Binghamton NY area, and I know that we have a good JD Dealer network in this area too with Lindsey Lawn & Garden. That's one of the reasons that I'm leaning towards John Deere.

I don't know a whole lot about Ferris, but it looks like the only ones that come in a 48" deck are the F160z and the IS600z. I can call the dealer again and see what I get for a quote.

All of the mowers you are looking at are decent mowers. Dealer support is important. If you have a good JD dealership, then that should weigh into your decision. If you are interested in Ferris, but don't have the budget, look into Snapper Pro. Same mower design (both owned by B&S), but Snapper Pro doesn't have the independent suspension. They are priced lower than Ferris as well. Check into the Spapper Pro s50xt.

mich3210

Threads
All of the mowers you are looking at are decent mowers. Dealer support is important. If you have a good JD dealership, then that should weigh into your decision. If you are interested in Ferris, but don't have the budget, look into Snapper Pro. Same mower design (both owned by B&S), but Snapper Pro doesn't have the independent suspension. They are priced lower than Ferris as well. Check into the Spapper Pro s50xt.

Closest Snapper dealer is 40 miles away.

I called the Ferris dealer, and the IS600 is $5399. They also just started carrying the Simplicity Courier, but I'm not real impressed by that.

I really appreciate all of the insight and suggestions.

primerbulb120

Threads
I would not recommend either of the John Deere machines. They just aren't built as well as they used to be and parts are way overpriced.

I am not qualified to make a recommendation because I have never owned a riding mower, but if I had to suggest one it would be the Hustler.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would not recommend either of the John Deere machines. They just aren't built as well as they used to be and parts are way overpriced.

I am not qualified to make a recommendation because I have never owned a riding mower, but if I had to suggest one it would be the Hustler.

Not that I am knocking Hustler or any other brand. Just wondering? Why are you saying John Deere is poor quality and overpriced? I really don't find them any better or worst then anything else that come through my shop. You have to also remember which model you are buying and you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap model John Deere, that is what you get. John Deere is a well establish company that's been around for many years. The OP said he would spend 4000 dollars, so he should be able to buy a better model in what ever he buys.