Blades Blade Engagement Lever Won't Stay

tzengil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a Craftsman LT2000 causing some trouble for me. The blade engagement lever activates the blades but won't stay in place. I changed the engagement cable but that did not help. Any ideas?

Thanks,

T

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you change the belt?

tzengil

Forum Newbie
Threads
No I did not. I guess I need to do that..... I didn't have any issues last season.

tzengil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you referring to the belts over the deck?

NorthBama

Threads
not sure about yours some have a spring by the handle that holds tension on the engagement until it is pull off of engagement.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was referring to the deck belt but not to replace it just if it was replaced.
There is a spring connect to one of the idler pulleys that may have broken. Check to see if it is still there and attached on both ends.

tzengil

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will check it. Thanks for the info.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If yours was a Murray built one with the engagement lever that swings parallel to and under the steering wheel then read on
The engagement lever stays in place because it goes over center.
If you look at it carefully you will see it stretches the cable up to about 2/3 of the levers travel then swings back in on itself reducing tension in the cable.
If yours is not doing this then something has come adrift inside the tower.
A bit of a PIA to get at as you will need to remove the fuel tank then hang from the rafters to get your hands in there but as you have already replaced the cable you will be used to that by now.

If your is a AYP build. PTO lever is on the right side of the tower & runs in a slot like a candy cane the trouble will be on the deck and most likely flogged out holes

tzengil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your answer. The PTO lever is on the right hand side. I will look over the deck if all parts working properly.

jviews12

Threads
UPDATE - FIXED - kinda
I replaced the belt with a NEW MTD OEM but no fix.
I then did this mod (see image) to "hold" the lever so that I could steer and control the speed at the same time.
Since I doubt it is cable stretch, I am baffled, but this works.
THANKS TO EVERYBODY who had suggestions.

Attachments

• mower_ccccccc_reduced.jpg
    mower_ccccccc_reduced.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 8