not getting fuel

brh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2000 WHITE 38 INCH CUT LAWN MOWER MADE BY MTD ENGINE IS A BRIGGS 13HP 4 CYCLE OHV. MODEL NO. 13AA683F190, SERIAL NO. E190B10004 . MODEL 29S777, TYPE 1142E1, CODE 00510ZE.
CARBURATOR IS NOT GETTING FUEL INTO THE ENGINE THERE IS NO FOREIGN MATERIAL IN SIDE.
A FEW DAYS AGO I PULLED IT INTO THR GARAGE AS I DID IT SHUT OFF AND HAS NOT STARTED AGAIN. THE ANTI BACKFIRE (FUEL CUT OFF) IS WORKING. SPRAY FUEL INTO THE CARB WITH A SPRAY BOTTLE AND IT STARTS AND RUNS.. I CANT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT. OTHER NOT GETTING FUEL INTO THE ENGINE.......FUEL IS GETTING INTO THE CARBURATOR BUT NOT INTO THE ENGINE

CARB WAS REPLACED ABOUR 6 MONTHS AGO. CARBURETOR 794572 $ 84.60
CARB KIT 695427
FUEL CUT OFF 699915

HELP PLEASE

BRH

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like maybe the carburetor needle valve is sticking closed.

brh

Forum Newbie
Threads
NO THE CARB FILLS WITH FUEL, FUEL IS JUST NOT SUCKED INTO ENGINE UNLESS I SPRAY FUEL INTO THE CARB, THEN IT SHUTS OFF AGAIN..

Lawnranger

Threads
About the only thing between the needle valve and the venturi is the emulsion tube (main jet). If you don't know what you are doing you can cause more problems than you'll fix by going into a carburetor. If you do know what you're doing then open the carburetor and clean the main jet. Take a fuel sample from the line going into the carburetor and check for contamination. Clean the rest of the fuel system as necessary.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO THE CARB FILLS WITH FUEL, FUEL IS JUST NOT SUCKED INTO ENGINE UNLESS I SPRAY FUEL INTO THE CARB, THEN IT SHUTS OFF AGAIN..

From the bowl the fuel goes up the main jet, past the cut off solenoid, through the emulsion tube and into the venturi.
So one of these 3 is not letting the fuel go past.

Lawnranger

Threads
From the bowl the fuel goes up the main jet, past the cut off solenoid, through the emulsion tube and into the venturi.
So one of these 3 is not letting the fuel go past.

Wow!!!!!!! I sure wish I thought of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait, I did already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm beginning to think that Bert and Micah are one in the same.:rolleyes:

brh

Forum Newbie
Threads
EVERY ONE IS RIGHT, BUT NOTHING HAS HELPED, I HAVE BEEN A MECHANIC FOR OVER 60 YEARS BUT THIS HAS ME STUMPED. IM POSTIVED EVERYTHNG IS CORRETLY IN PLACE. I THOUGHT MAYBE SOME ONE KNEW A TRICK.
THANKS ANYWAY.
BRH

Lawnranger

Threads
EVERY ONE IS RIGHT, BUT NOTHING HAS HELPED, I HAVE BEEN A MECHANIC FOR OVER 60 YEARS BUT THIS HAS ME STUMPED. IM POSTIVED EVERYTHNG IS CORRETLY IN PLACE. I THOUGHT MAYBE SOME ONE KNEW A TRICK.
THANKS ANYWAY.
BRH

Well you got me beat. I have only 40 years experience working on machines. If you have fuel in the bowl and the main jet/emulsion tube is clear and you have sufficient vacuum on the intake stroke then maybe the laws of physics cease to exist on you mower. Wait a minute! I just said something no one else has so far. A manifold vacuum leak would cause the problem you are experiencing, now wouldn't it? In all your 60+ years of experience have you ever worked on an engine that had a manifold vacuum leak? Sounds plausible, doesn't it? Not enough vacuum to create the venturi effect would certainly be a possible reason that would prevent the fuel from traveling from the bowl to the venturi. Go back and check it out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might like to pull the carb, turn on the engine ( to power up the solenoid ) then blow some air across the carb venturi to double check that the cut off solenoid is in fact retracting and allowing fuel to flow.
I have an old reverse vacuum cleaner type of spray gun that I was going to chuck but found it was excellent for this purpose although usually it gets used to check diaphram carbs.
Not quite flow bench testing but at east I can see that the carb is flowing fuel and that it flows more when fully open.
Just remember the open end will , hopefully, be exhausting a warm flammable air fuel mix so I should not need to remind you of the fire / explosion potential.

This is an early test on diaphram carbs before I go to the effort of opening one up because the instant you do that it should be new gaskets & diaphrams regardless.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
Wow!!!!!!! I sure wish I thought of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait, I did already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm beginning to think that Bert and Micah are one in the same.:rolleyes:

very funny

I did not say the same thing as you on purpose in the other few threads. I just posted what I had done in the past and you happened to have already said that :smile: