Bolens Riding Mower 17 hp 42 inch cut 683 model

BobbyP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello!!

I have had my Bolens Riding mower since 2003. It has been a great tractor. Recently I had pretty extensive work on it. Most of it being maintenance type items. Since I have gotten the mower back it is running so much better and sounds and acts new. Before I get into detail I need to admit I know nothing about mowers. Just enough to be dangerous.

My mower has one pedal which is for brake and clutch. It has 8 different speed levels. I noticed a couple of things using the mower for the second time after getting it back from repair. When the engine is running and the gear is either in F or R the mower moves even with the lever is in the Parking slot. It does not move if the mower is in neutral. I pretty sure before it was fixed, even if the tractor was in gear but the lever was in the Parking slot, the tractor did not move.

The other issue I am having could be related. When I put the speed lever in 8 which is the highest speed, the lever will not stay in its slot. This issue is not as important to me because I usually mow in speed 5 or 6 and speed 7 works fine. I am mentioning this as it might be related to the mower moving when the lever is in the parking brake slot.

A summary of what I had done: 3 different belts were replaced. The brake was replaced. Steering shaft replaced. Lift handle for my mower deck replaced and had other normal type maintenance done on it.

I plan on discussing this with the shop that did the work but thought I would ask the question to see if maybe it is a quick easy fix.

Thank you in advanced.

BobbyP

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be either an adjustment on the speed selector or wear in your pulleys.
The speed selection changes the circumference that the drive belts run around.
It is exactly the same thing as a pedistel drill or lathe with a stack of different sized pulleys except that on your case the pulley itself actually changes size.
To confuse people we call them sheaves not pulleys and your type is a sliding sheave.
Where the pulleys usually run the shaft will be worn and where the pulleys rarely run the shaft will not be worn.
When you have nice new tight belts on again this little wear lip can make it hard to select the top position.
SO if that is what the repairer tells you he is not spinning a yarn.
Let him know about your problems right away.
Most likely he will tell you ti run it like that for a while to let every thing settle in then ask you to bring it back for a final adjustment.
That is what I do so I would expect hi to do similar.
Only difference I have the landlords 1000 acres to do test drives on so I can give all myrepairs a thorough work out before returning them.
Others do not have this luxury

BobbyP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so much for your response Bertmobile. I really appreciate it. Now that I have your input I won't feel as clueless when I talk to the man that did the repairs. I will keep this thread updated once I talk to the repair man.