HORSE POWER/TORQUE IDEAS FOR MY BRIGGS ?????????

SR1642

Threads
16HP VANGAURD BRIGGS TWIN CYL ENGINE. I WOULD LIKE TO PULL THE MOTOR, TAKE IT APART, HAVE NEEDED MACHINE WORK DONE AND GO BACK WITH HIGH PERFROMANCE RODS, PISTONS, RADICAL CAM, HEAD WORK AND 2 BARREL CARB. ANYONE DONE SOMETHING LIKE THIS? WHAT PARTS COMBINATION RECOMMENDED? PARTS SOURCE? MACHINE WORK NEEEDED? JUST LOOKING FOR SOME GOOD IDEAS TO HOT ROD THIS ENGINE WITHOUT GOING ALL OUT CRAZY. IT IS JUST SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO DO TO IMPROVE POWER ON OLD SNAPPER SR1642 MOWER. THE MAIN MOWER I AM WANTING TO HOT ROD IS MY 17.5 BRIGGS ON MY MURRY THAT I USE TO PULL MY ATV OFFSET HARROW AND OTHER ATTACHMENTS. THANKS, WOULD LOVE SOME GOOD ECOMICAL IDEAS...

lugnut1

Threads
your local machine shop would be your best bet for performance improvements

some things they might be able to perform:
1.porting and polishing
2.rod modifications
3.head milling
4.cylinder modifications

they'd know how far to go with the machining of it.

In my younger days a buddy and me ran motocross bikes Yamaha yz's
I took mine in and had it bored
rejetted the carb (actually put in smaller jet) bike's would bog off the line before.
I'd beat my buddies bike by about a bike length in a drag race.

(someday I may tell him what I did) but for now I still like watching him scratch:mur: his head when we talk about those days. :wink:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It may resemble a Harley, but made to run at 3000. Lots of stories here of rod failures. Seems like an uphill battle that will end sadly. I have seen a site, however, which caters to souped lawn tractors. And they just held a race here for the riders, so what the heck. Go for it.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Good gosh, I was about to refer you to Brian Wilson"s pulling tractor site and found out he passed away - 52 years old. Google Pulling Tractors, probably find lots of leads.

Walt Conner

KrashnKraka

Threads
........ IT IS JUST SOMETHING I WOULD LIKE TO DO TO IMPROVE POWER ON OLD SNAPPER SR1642 MOWER. THE MAIN MOWER I AM WANTING TO HOT ROD IS MY 17.5 BRIGGS ON MY MURRY THAT I USE TO PULL MY ATV OFFSET HARROW AND OTHER ATTACHMENTS. THANKS, WOULD LOVE SOME GOOD ECOMICAL IDEAS...

.....errrrr,, you do understand there is a wee impediment named Governer, yes?

To see any significant increase your rebuild would need to return whole number
horsepower and not just fractions of performance like 10% of aspiration, 5% of
compression....etcetera, as is sought in "hotrodding".
Then, in the case of the Snapper, there is the complication of the cutting deck.
Essentially these designs follow Fan Laws which in laymans terms boil down to
"you can only blow what you can suck". Factors like tipspeed, pitch, venturi and
cavitation speeds are properties of the deck, not the motor.

You could find yourself running a cam popping echo chambered streeeeet machine
being outmowed by the old codger next door pushing his LawnBoy!!

Trust that helps some.

KK