Tractor Supply replacement Hy-Tran Ultra transmission hydraulic fluid

greynold99

Threads
  • / Tractor Supply replacement Hy-Tran Ultra transmission hydraulic fluid
Question on replacement for the Case marketed Hy-Tran Ultra hydraulic transmission fluid...

My local Cub Cadet dealer went out of business last Fall and I discovered on wanting to do the 100 hr. transmission fluid/filter change that I didn't have the Hy-Tran Ultra hydraulic transmission fluid.

I discovered a non-Case produce marketed under Tractor Supply's brand name that claims, among many other brands to be 'compatible' with Hy-Tran Ultra.
I know this has been discussed before but wanted to get your ideas if the Tractor Supply brand 'is completely compatible' or if I should make an effort to get the Case Hy-Tran Ultra?
Thanks,
greynold99

logan01

Threads
I have no need for that specific fluid however I am surrounded by many farmers who all use the TS version in replacement of their "manufacturer" brand name Hy-Tran fluids.

greynold99

Threads
Ok! I changed the Tranny fluid and filter last night using the Tractor Supply branded Traveller Hydraulic Transmission fluid.

The first thing I noticed right away when comparing the two fluids before changing is that the Case Hy Tran fluid has something in it that gives it a slightly dark color even before you use it.
The Traveller fluid was as clear as mineral oil but comparing the smell and feel; was basically the same as the Case Hy Tran - so I went ahead and used the Traveller trans fluid.

I wondered this morning if the 'dark color' of the Case fluid might be due to something like having graphite or some other additive for added protection or slipperyness. I remember when they use to tout similar benefits to cars engines when they added lead to gasoline and charged you a few cents more per gallon.

Let me know if you have any insights on this...
Thanks,
greynold99