Need new cutting blades STX38

silver1

Threads
I purchased a JD STX38 rider in the spring. After a clean up and check out, I mowed my front lawn.
The grass did not exit out the side much and left a trail behind me. I removed the cutting deck(Black)
check it out and found it had a mulch kit installed. I need to remove those parts and install new cutting
blades. I does have one spindle that is starting to wobble. New belt of course, ect.

What is the best part # of good blades to get the grass out with some power behind it?
Thanks,
Silver1

southfreedon

Threads
I've been running Oregon blades on my black-decked STX38 this years. They cut just as good as JD OEM but cost tons less. I actually ordered them off Amazon last fall. No complaints.

As far as the deck goes, I clean mine every couple of weeks & coat with PB Blaster. Not sure if that's the correct method but that's how my Grandfather did his mowers when I was young & he had a JD that lasted 27 years.

silver1

Threads
Re: Need new cutting blades STX 38 NO start today!

I purchased a JD STX38 rider in the spring. After a clean up and check out, I mowed my front lawn.
The grass did not exit out the side much and left a trail behind me. I removed the cutting deck(Black)
check it out and found it had a mulch kit installed. I need to remove those parts and install new cutting
blades. I does have one spindle that is starting to wobble. New belt of course, ect.

What is the best part # of good blades to get the grass out with some power behind it? I see that a medium pitch blade would be best.
Thanks,
Silver1
Help

Today my JD will not start. I drove it around my yard (still waiting for blades) and then parked it. I shut it off but was on my tarp. I
went to re-start it and it only "clicked" at the solenoid. The brake is locked and I'm on the seat. I know there are two safety switches
(seat/brake). What I don't know is if they are normally OPEN and then CLOSED when on the seat and brake is ON. I could use the wiring
info. with path.:thumbsup:
Thanks

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Help

Today my JD will not start. I drove it around my yard (still waiting for blades) and then parked it. I shut it off but was on my tarp. I
went to re-start it and it only "clicked" at the solenoid. The brake is locked and I'm on the seat. I know there are two safety switches
(seat/brake). What I don't know is if they are normally OPEN and then CLOSED when on the seat and brake is ON. I could use the wiring
Thanks

Remove starter cable ( at solenoid end ) that goes between the solenoid and starter. Clamp a positive jumper cable from the loose cable end to a known good battery positive post. With the brake set and transmission in neutral, touch the negative cable to the oil drain plug after clamping to the negative known good battery. If it cranks, have the tractor battery fully charged somewhere and load tested.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

Help

Thanks

what about the blades being disengaged?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the starter solenoid is clicking that usually means all safety switches have continuity as they should and the voltage to the solenoid shunt coil isn't great enough to keep the solenoid contacts engaged.

silver1

Threads
If the starter solenoid is clicking that usually means all safety switches have continuity as they should and the voltage to the solenoid shunt coil isn't great enough to keep the solenoid contacts engaged.

I will check all the contacts to the solenoid. Thanks

silver1

Threads

I removed the + Cable to the starter motor. Connected my meter to the wire and grd - turned the switch to start and it went to 12+.
Time for a motor!
Thanks

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I removed the + Cable to the starter motor. Connected my meter to the wire and grd - turned the switch to start and it went to 12+.
Time for a motor!
Thanks

There was no load put on the battery with the exception of the resistance in the wires so I wouldn't expect anything other than 12+.

Try reply #4.