High Octane gas

hrdman2luv

Threads
Some of you know, I've had carb troubles since I joined here. Carbs are usually the ONLY thing that gives me troubles. They hate me. But, I have to say, I've been using a better grade of gas, the highest octane available at the local gas station, and my mowers (a 19.5 opposed twin with the 4 bolt fuel pump & a 21.5 hp OHV).. And they've never ran so good. When I use the cheap stuff, the 19.5 revs up and down a lot. The 21.5hp back fires a lot. But not when I use the good gas.

Since I buy 5 gallons at a time, it really doesn't cost that much more.

Just food for thought for those who use the cheap stuff like I used to.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think higher octane gas has a better additive package, but not necessarily less ethanol. Lawn mower engines are low compression, slow running and should not benefit from the octane rating per se. A lot of people in the forum seek out gas stations with non-ethanol gas. There are listings of these stations, some in this forum. Try search function.

tigercat

Threads
I also buy the high octane fuel. For the two and four cycle engines I operate I hope they start easier to help out my joints a bit. If the fuel becomes 1 year old, I add that to my truck and I buy some fresh stuff.

dhd

Threads
I just recently have been running higher octane gasoline in my 22HP v twin Briggs and Stratton, riding mower.
Engine starts easier and seems to run much better.
For years I had been using the high octane gasoline in my 2 stroke engines too (chainsaw and line trimmer)
they both start much easier on higher octane than regular gasoline.
Owners manual of my chainsaw and line trimmer also recommends using the higher octane fuel.