Honda HRX217 for $20

gentlejax

Threads
I got a guy not far from me that works for a shop. they have this and a old John Deere push mower for $20 each. HE says he doesnt really know much about them and that they have mechanics but they are too busy working on peoples stuff and these are just in the back.

I have a JD and thats how I found these but I am really interested in the Honda HRX217 ..he said throttle cables messed up .

is there any serious issue i need to know about these ? I know the hondas go for good money. id like to get the Honda and get it running...its only $20

loco-diablo

Threads
I got a guy not far from me that works for a shop. they have this and a old John Deere push mower for $20 each. HE says he doesnt really know much about them and that they have mechanics but they are too busy working on peoples stuff and these are just in the back.

I have a JD and thats how I found these but I am really interested in the Honda HRX217 ..he said throttle cables messed up .

is there any serious issue i need to know about these ? I know the hondas go for good money. id like to get the Honda and get it running...its only $20

It's $600 minimum for a new HRX217 today. If it only needs cables, that's a steal. I would just make sure engine, tranny and deck are good. anything else can be reasonably replaced on a $20 investment.

redmondjp

Threads
For $20 each I'd buy them both!

Get them both running, try them out, and sell the one you like less.

gentlejax

Threads
For $20 each I'd buy them both!

Get them both running, try them out, and sell the one you like less.

I already have a JD14pb, and I was looking at getting the JD 14sc for parts. but the honda has me very interested due to ratings and being newer. might be less expensive to fix. all the parts I have checked into were cheaper than same parts for JD 14pb I have now. it looks like I am picking up at least one....

there is a toro self propelled, the honda self propelled and the JD. maybe the Honda just needs carb work

redmondjp

Threads
I already have a JD14pb, and I was looking at getting the JD 14sc for parts. but the honda has me very interested due to ratings and being newer. might be less expensive to fix. all the parts I have checked into were cheaper than same parts for JD 14pb I have now. it looks like I am picking up at least one....

there is a toro self propelled, the honda self propelled and the JD. maybe the Honda just needs carb work

I'd still buy them both at those prices. I have both of those same mower models as you do. The Honda doesn't have near the suction that the Deere does, but it has the twin-blades on it and the Deere has the standard high-lift blade.

Here's why you should buy that 14sc - just the wheels alone sell for $50 each. I'd get that one and get it running, and use your 14pb for parts for the sc.

If you primarily bag, I'd take the Deere. If you primarily mulch, I'd go with the Honda.

gentlejax

Threads
they were both in bad shape and had both been messed with. the cables on the honda were broken. dont know if that is why it was just sitting or not. I didnt buy either but now I think I should have taken the JD. may go back. he was going to sell them for $10 to me. I didnt take them...I should have. going to text them back today and see if they are open saturday

loco-diablo

Threads
they were both in bad shape and had both been messed with. the cables on the honda were broken. dont know if that is why it was just sitting or not. I didnt buy either but now I think I should have taken the JD. may go back. he was going to sell them for $10 to me. I didnt take them...I should have. going to text them back today and see if they are open saturday

If it's a newer HRX217VKA, there's only 2 cables. 1 for the blade brake, 1 for the drive. Should be a relatively easy fix, as long as the engine, tranny, deck (wheels) are good.

In addition to my HRX217, I also own a JD 14PZ that I bought new in 1995. It still runs like a champ (5HP B&S), but could use new wheels. I'm thinking of selling it though as I really have no use for it. My neighbor mentioned to me last weekend that his mower crapped out, so I may just give it to him.