SUCCESS!!!!!

hrdman2luv

Threads
Finally, after nearly a year, I have finally fixed my 19.5 Briggs powered LT1000. It was the carburetor. Even though I had rebuilt it last year, it still didn't run right. I'm thinking that all of that white water deposits that I couldn't get out then, some of it probably broke loose and clogged it up in one of those little holes.
This time, I took the carb apart, soaked it in carb cleaner (the brown sticky kind), placed it on the outside A/C unit to let it agitate or a couple of hours. Then I took out the bottom part, sprayed the jets with break clean, scraped even more of the white stuff out of it, and let it agitate even longer... Then, thanks to my new handy dandy air compressor (only 3 gallon), with a blower nozzle, I cleaned it up, blew it all out. And rebuilt it.

Now, that sucker runs awesome.. I've rebuilt the deck with new blades, belts, & bearings. Rewired it to get rid of all those safety switches. Now it has a push button start and toggle kill switch. New battery, starter, solenoid & coil. I'm thinking seriously about mounting LED fog lights on the bumper guard. I don't like the way Craftsman designed the wiring to the headlights... Too close to the exhaust pipe. But, it is what it is...

This mower has been the bane of my existence ever since I got it. Since I don't have a garage or even an out of the weather shed I can' work on it, I've had to put it off for months and do nothing more than just worry about why it wouldn't run right.

Now, it's only the next one. I think I'm going to get the next one running, and sell it. It's the right time of the year. And it's time to start making a little money on this little hobby I've come up with....

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Finally, after nearly a year, I have finally fixed my 19.5 Briggs powered LT1000. It was the carburetor. Even though I had rebuilt it last year, it still didn't run right. I'm thinking that all of that white water deposits that I couldn't get out then, some of it probably broke loose and clogged it up in one of those little holes.
This time, I took the carb apart, soaked it in carb cleaner (the brown sticky kind), placed it on the outside A/C unit to let it agitate or a couple of hours. Then I took out the bottom part, sprayed the jets with break clean, scraped even more of the white stuff out of it, and let it agitate even longer... Then, thanks to my new handy dandy air compressor (only 3 gallon), with a blower nozzle, I cleaned it up, blew it all out. And rebuilt it.

Now, that sucker runs awesome.. I've rebuilt the deck with new blades, belts, & bearings. Rewired it to get rid of all those safety switches. Now it has a push button start and toggle kill switch. New battery, starter, solenoid & coil. I'm thinking seriously about mounting LED fog lights on the bumper guard. I don't like the way Craftsman designed the wiring to the headlights... Too close to the exhaust pipe. But, it is what it is...

This mower has been the bane of my existence ever since I got it. Since I don't have a garage or even an out of the weather shed I can' work on it, I've had to put it off for months and do nothing more than just worry about why it wouldn't run right.

Now, it's only the next one. I think I'm going to get the next one running, and sell it. It's the right time of the year. And it's time to start making a little money on this little hobby I've come up with....

You DO realize the safety switches were installed for a different reason other than trying to charge more for the initial purchase ....RIGHT ????? Lock the kiddies in the bathroom while you're out mowing ....:frown:

hrdman2luv

Threads
You DO realize the safety switches were installed for a different reason other than trying to charge more for the initial purchase ....RIGHT ????? Lock the kiddies in the bathroom while you're out mowing ....:frown:

Safety switches, in my opinion. Are like stop signs & signs. They're there for people who can't get through an intersection without being told how to. My kids were operating heavy equipment and shooting shotguns by the time they were 6yrs old... Safely.

Instead of a bunch of safety switches, we just use common sense. LOL :wink:

hrdman2luv

Threads
GOOD JOB !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Thanks alot. I'm just waiting for all my indian paint brushes & blue bonnets (Texas wild flowers) to lose their seeds, so I can mow everything.. With all this rain, it's gonna be tough mowing. Will probably be another 3 weeks to a month before that's going to happen. But me and the wife have devised a plan..

Considering we've got over 10acres to mow, I'll go ahead of her with the mower all the way up, and she'll come behind me at with the right height... Either way, it'll get done.. And not with the choke pulled all the way out, stalling, sputtering and dying the whole way... Man, that was irritating.

BTW, I appreciate all your advise. Some I used. And some I stored away for future uses. All n all, none of it was wasted.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
just a little word of caution.
If you see something with the safety switches bypassed and the new owner hurts themselves you are criminally liable.
In the land that allows the the person who sold the running shoes to the pedestrian who got mowed down running across the road to be sued, I would be a little cautious.

Next, if the zinc coating on the inside of the float bowl has been compromised you will either need to replace it or replate it as it will rust very readily.

hrdman2luv

Threads
just a little word of caution.
If you see something with the safety switches bypassed and the new owner hurts themselves you are criminally liable.
In the land that allows the the person who sold the running shoes to the pedestrian who got mowed down running across the road to be sued, I would be a little cautious.

I'm not worried about being sued for posting my personal repairs on an internet forum. I'm not selling anything. I'm not giving anyone any orders to do anything. If someone wants to disable all their safety switches, then who cares? It's their mower. I don't need some government regulation or corporate "keep me from being sued" safety device to know NOT to stick my foot under a running mower. And I don't go mowing the side of a cliff. So I think I'll be OK.. But thanks anyways.

Next, if the zinc coating on the inside of the float bowl has been compromised you will either need to replace it or replate it as it will rust very readily.

Now that's some useful info right there. I noticed some rust around where the big screw on the side.. Right in front of a jet. That was probably what was clogging it up before.. Should be an easy fix next time. Just remove the big screw, take my small wire wheel to it through the hole. Remove the jet, and blow it all out using some carb cleaner..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Big snip:-
I think I'm going to get the next one running, and sell it. It's the right time of the year. And it's time to start making a little money on this little hobby I've come up with....

This was the quote that triggered the words of caution.

I have no personnal interest in what you actually do just so long as you are aware that there can be consequences.
We are not quite as litigious as those in the Land of Hope & Glory ( although we are rapidly catching up ) but even here children have sued their parents for injuries derrived from removal of safety devices.
Reasonably common for a kid to get hit by somthing flying out of the discharge chute that has the deflector removed or tied up out of the way and down here the parents at hospital distraught about the injuries the kid has sufferred get arrested and charged, just to make their day complete.

hrdman2luv

Threads
This was the quote that triggered the words of caution.

I have no personnal interest in what you actually do just so long as you are aware that there can be consequences.
We are not quite as litigious as those in the Land of Hope & Glory ( although we are rapidly catching up ) but even here children have sued their parents for injuries derrived from removal of safety devices.
Reasonably common for a kid to get hit by somthing flying out of the discharge chute that has the deflector removed or tied up out of the way and down here the parents at hospital distraught about the injuries the kid has sufferred get arrested and charged, just to make their day complete.

LMAO... Sounds more like a dysfunctional family. My family wouldn't sue me. As I wouldn't sue my family. Those that would, probably have waaaay more problems than their lawn mowers.