Braodleaf weed killer for acreage

RickO

Threads
I'm building a deck that will attach to my Craftsman tractor so I can mount an ATV sprayer. The 2-4-D seems like the way I need to go. Curious, just what does 2-4-D mean? Question: Of the 5 acres to manage, 2 is groomed lawn, (pampered and under irrigation) and 3 is pasture/fields. There are no animals any place on the 5 acres or near by for that matter. Will the 2-4-D work at controlling Poison Ivy? I'm at year 3 at fighting this stuff and so far, through diligence have done a good job with a hand held spot sprayer, (Round Up Poison Ivy, which kills everything.) I want to bring the fight to a whole new level and hope to hear that the 2-4-D will work to eradicate the Poison Ivy. Multiple applications are assumed on my part as this stuff is stubborn but my understanding is that this 2-4-D is a broadleaf control and therefore should (eventually) work on the Ivy. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
2-4-D will work on Poison Ivy, Here is the label information...
If you are not familiar with chemical label information, find an Ag supply that can step you through it... It is not as complex as it seems at first glance... but most folks are intimidated by the required labeling...

Here is the label info:
http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/2_4-D.pdf
:smile:KennyV

mullins87

Threads
2-4-D works very well controlling poison ivy. The yard where we built our house was a mixture of weeds, clover, fescue and poison ivy. I applied it twice a year for two years, and along with regular mowing, the ivy is gone. It did kill the clover, but unfortunately it came back.

RickO

Threads
You guys are the best. Thanks. Now to find it in concentrate form that doesn't cost $200 per application. Note: A week of rain and now sun, the lawn is looking great. Makes me a happy camper. (I share the same addiction as you folks.)

RickO

Threads
KennyV, thanks for the link. I read the label, twice. The stuff sounds like I need to wear a full HazMat suit to go near in concentrate form. Frankly, a bit intimidating. I'm careful when I used those attach to hose spray bottles, (pesticide to kill the ticks, Broadleaf weed or feed spray.) I'm almost considering using the hose attachment spray bottles as the source and have it load in to the 16-gallon sprayer. Not that I'm looking for approval to do something stupid while handling 2-4-D, (because I'd be VERY careful) but I'm curious, I use the concentrate Poison Ivy Killer all the time and I'm VERY careful when near it (in concentrated form), is this 2-4-D on the same danger level, or an order of magnitude more dangerous?

mullins87

Threads
Maybe I'm a little more relaxed than you, but I don't go to any special precautions when using 2-4-D. Basically all I do is make sure I wash any off with a water hose if I do happen to get any on me. I've never had any issues. You mentioned $200 per application, I buy the stuff locally at a farm supply store for less than $40 per gallon, and then mix it at 2oz. per gallon of water. So one gallon will make 64 gallons of spray. I couldn't tell you how many acres 64 gallons will cover, but I'm thinking 10 to 20 acres based on my use.

Jimmyjo

Threads
the 2-4D is the best for what you described you have just if you have neighbors close by with vegtable gardens be careful when i use the 2-4D i mix a surfactent with it that serves 2 purposes 1 it sticks to the weeds 2 it makes it heavy and the wind won't carry it as bad .

>Finding the right day with zero wind is always my problem. I have neighbors on three sides and spray drift is a real worry. Please tell me what your useing as a surfactent. I use a 2-4-D product from a local ag supply. Thanks

RickO

Threads
Mullins87. I'm relaxed and perhaps waaaaay too relaxed. I'm very careful with the ivy killer but I mean, did you read the label information fully. "chemical resistant apron, gloves...." You're right common sense and be careful but again, just for giggles hit the link that KennyV posted. Sounds nuts.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of the ingredients in a dedicated poison ivy killer is 2-4-D ao the handling precautions will be the same... it's really nothing to be Toooo worried about, this is one of the times that a little common sense will go a long way... (2-4-D was one of the ingredients in agent orange, but that was used everywhere & in very strong concentrations...)
the best surfactant is cheap dish washing detergent, (not the type for dishwashers), just common dish hand washing... 1 ounce per gallon works well.
:smile:KennyV

RickO

Threads
Thanks guys. All understood and my freak out level is down to chilled considering I've handled the Poison Ivy Killer in concentrate form plenty of times, (...and didn't do anything stupid.) Will add dishwashing liquid also to have the 2-4-D product maximize it's effectiveness. The sprayer is due to deliver tomorrow and then some quick fab - I'll be killing ticks, red thread and poison ivy like a mad man. All the best.