Just bought a new Gravely Pro 48". Tips on how to not leave tire marks when I turn?

jalapa

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Just bought a new Gravely Pro 48". Tips on how to not leave tire marks when I turn?
Just bought a new Gravely Pro 48". Tips on how to not leave tire marks when I turn?

Just bought my first zero turn, a Gravely Pro. This is my first zero turn mower, and after one cutting I love it. Problem is, I couldn't make the turn without tearing up a chunk of grass with the tires. Any advice?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Just bought a new Gravely Pro 48". Tips on how to not leave tire marks when I turn?
Re: Just bought a new Gravely Pro 48". Tips on how to not leave tire marks when I tu

The way I have always done it is to not got reverse. I slow way down the speed up one side. Always going forward with both wheels. Or you can do the modified J turn. I hope you can follow my picture.

Attachments

• Modified J Turn.jpg
    Modified J Turn.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 45

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Just bought a new Gravely Pro 48". Tips on how to not leave tire marks when I tu

Just bought my first zero turn, a Gravely Pro. This is my first zero turn mower, and after one cutting I love it. Problem is, I couldn't make the turn without tearing up a chunk of grass with the tires. Any advice?

How can I turn with my zero turn riding mower without tearing the turf? Experienced operators of zero-turn riding mowers can often perform the zero-turn maneuver without causing turf damage. However, while zero-turn mowers can turn on a dime (or in very tight circles), it may not always be the best practice to do so on grass. Even tight turns have the potential to cause turf damage in some situations and conditions. The best way we have found to prevent and/or greatly minimize turf damage is to:
Y-Turn_1.jpg

Use 3-point / Y-turns at the end of a mowing row rather than zero-turns to change direction. It is still a fast maneuver and will reduce the potential of turf damage greatly.

• 1. At end of mowing path, turn toward next mowing path.
    2. Reverse while turning slightly in opposite direction to align mower with next mowing row.
    3. Proceed into next mowing path.

On "tight" turns, pay special attention to the inside drive wheel. This wheel will naturally spin slower than the outside drive wheel. It is important to keep the inside wheel turning at all times. If the turn is made to cause the inside wheel to stop turning, this is when turf damage can occur.
We have found that by using both of these methods, turf damage is all but a thing of the past. Over a short period of time, it becomes second nature and overall productivity can be increased.

inthechateau

Forum Newbie
Threads

Like said, either use Y turn, or tight turn keeping both rear tires moving. When I get to the end of run and want to go other way I'll do the modified J turn and back up a notch with inside tire while keeping out side tire moving albeit slower speed. Turf condition will have to be determining factor o how much friction you can get away with. If you use same mow pattern each cut though you will find wear spots if you turn on same point every time so modify mow pattern.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

A bit late but a little trick I found works well when turning is to hold both steering rods in the same hand and twist your wrist.
This prevents you doing a skid steer.
Works really well when going down a tight path or something dangerous like running up or down loading planks.