616 hydros weak when cold??

1dmbhonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just an update to my old post, I finally got around to working on the old grasshopper and changed all three pullyes on the hydros for about $30 each and what do ya know its all better. I also installed a new briggs and stratton short block ($629) due to oil consumption and lack of power becoming an issue and she's cutting and driving pretty good.

BWH

Threads
Just an update to my old post, I finally got around to working on the old grasshopper and changed all three pullyes on the hydros for about $30 each and what do ya know its all better. I also installed a new briggs and stratton short block ($629) due to oil consumption and lack of power becoming an issue and she's cutting and driving pretty good.

The good news is your hydro's must be strong to slip the drive belt, I had run into a similar situation where under steep inclines I could slip the belt and even the new belt. My dealer suggested changing the pulleys and sure enough ran like a new one. (2,500 hrs. on the pulleys at that point) The interesting thing was how much higher in the pulley the belt rode Day/Night difference.

Good Luck