Oregon 1/2HP Blade Sharpener

Nwatson99

Threads
Friend of mine has a JD Z930A identical to the one I had and he purchased a 1/2HP Oregon blade sharpener, well he calls me over the weekend and shows me the blade he tried to sharpen. Wow his blade was really jacked up, that grinder grabbed his blade and blue spot the heck out if it in a couple of spots which if you know metal you know what it is, but for the ones that don't it overheated the blade.
So I came back home and picked up a box of brand new TCU15881 JD blades which are the high lift blades for our 7 Iron Decks, anyway I check the setting of his grinder which was 1/8" inch to the wheel, up and down pitch was a perfect match for the new blades as well.
We fired up the grinder again and he tried to sharpen the other end, well it was going pretty good and bam the wheel just stopped, so he pulled the blade out with the motor and wheel back to full speed again, so we let it run for around 3 minutes or more to cool itself and he reached me a blade and I tried it.
Well I grabbed the blade and was making sure not to put hardly any pressure at all on it and that machine was like jumping and not cutting the jd blade worth a crap, so I made several passes with a little more surface contact, then I made several more with more pressure on the contact with just a little bit improvement, so here I attempted to make several more with contact like it was suppose to be and it stopped the wheel dead in it's tracks, so I told him that machine is not strong enough for the high lift blades and from what I have seen and experienced here the 1/2hp is just made for the residential blades and where we have commercial mowers it we will have to find something strong enough for those blades.
Now my buddy has a 1/2hp bench grinder, so we take his blade with the blue spots and we clean it up on the bench grinder which it felt like it had enough power to cut the blades in half and then I put a better edge with my metabo and 40 grit sanding disc.
So commercial guys wanting to sharpen the larger commercial blades, I would advise against the Oregon 1/2HP blade sharpener because it will not handle JD commercial blades and I am sure there are more out it will not handle either.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Friend of mine has a JD Z930A identical to the one I had and he purchased a 1/2HP Oregon blade sharpener, well he calls me over the weekend and shows me the blade he tried to sharpen. Wow his blade was really jacked up, that grinder grabbed his blade and blue spot the heck out if it in a couple of spots which if you know metal you know what it is, but for the ones that don't it overheated the blade. So I came back home and picked up a box of brand new TCU15881 JD blades which are the high lift blades for our 7 Iron Decks, anyway I check the setting of his grinder which was 1/8" inch to the wheel, up and down pitch was a perfect match for the new blades as well. We fired up the grinder again and he tried to sharpen the other end, well it was going pretty good and bam the wheel just stopped, so he pulled the blade out with the motor and wheel back to full speed again, so we let it run for around 3 minutes or more to cool itself and he reached me a blade and I tried it. Well I grabbed the blade and was making sure not to put hardly any pressure at all on it and that machine was like jumping and not cutting the jd blade worth a crap, so I made several passes with a little more surface contact, then I made several more with more pressure on the contact with just a little bit improvement, so here I attempted to make several more with contact like it was suppose to be and it stopped the wheel dead in it's tracks, so I told him that machine is not strong enough for the high lift blades and from what I have seen and experienced here the 1/2hp is just made for the residential blades and where we have commercial mowers it we will have to find something strong enough for those blades. Now my buddy has a 1/2hp bench grinder, so we take his blade with the blue spots and we clean it up on the bench grinder which it felt like it had enough power to cut the blades in half and then I put a better edge with my metabo and 40 grit sanding disc. So commercial guys wanting to sharpen the larger commercial blades, I would advise against the Oregon 1/2HP blade sharpener because it will not handle JD commercial blades and I am sure there are more out it will not handle either.

It is a waste of money for any blades.

I just use my bench grinder.
Years ago when I just used snapper push mowers I would use a file on the blades every night when I was watching the news.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Angle grinder and vice grips. For big stuff. Otherwise I file twice a week