Adjusting the governor for hig vs low running in a lawn boy silver series

doggiediggie

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Adjusting the governor for hig vs low running in a lawn boy silver series
What are the RPM numbers for the high to low range for a lawn boy silver series self propelled mower? And can you set it without a tachometer because I do not have one. Or where can I buy one reasonably> Can someone walk me through the steps to get this done properly. The tag with the model number that was on the deck is gone so I do not know what model it is. All I know is that it is a 2-cycle commercial engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to turn the notched wheel where the plastic governor flag is mounted be am hesitant to do too much until I know what I am doing. I read that clockwise is to increase and counter-clockwise is to decrease and that each click is 50 RPM. I have no idea where my starting point or ending point will/would be. Please help this novice. Thanks!:frown:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Without a tachometer, it is impossible to tell you how. How did it get out of whack?

doggiediggie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Without a tachometer, it is impossible to tell you how. How did it get out of whack?

I wish I could recall how it got out of whack, specifically. I had the carb off to clean it and must have disassembled it by mistake. That's the novice in me, I guess.
Where is the most reliable place to buy a tachometer for a mower and what kind should I buy. I do have an older tach for an automobile but do not think that would work with a mower. How much do they cost?

doggiediggie

Forum Newbie
Threads

OK, I have a tachometer coming. Now can you provide any helpful hints on what I do to solve the problem?

doggiediggie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I now have a tachometer! Can anyone provide some helpful hints on how to set the governor to the proper RPM setting, whatever those numbers might be?

doggiediggie

Forum Newbie
Threads

Now I have one! Any suggestions to share?