Search Feature and Edit time on posts needs corrected and are really annoying.

Nwatson99

Threads
  • / Search Feature and Edit time on posts needs corrected and are really annoying.
Can we get these two issues fixed please, I know there are several issues with this forum software, but these two are really annoying and need to be fixed ASAP.
Anyway search does not work, you type in a word and yes longer than 3 characters it will not bring up the post, topic, or nothing, just a white page wanting you to select areas not even relevant to the forum.
Oh and google custom search is not a search feature for forum software, you need either traditional "myphp", sphinx, etc.

Edit restriction on a post the timing is insane, how is someone to do a thorough review and have the apprioate time to look over his work they posted and finding any errors and correcting them?
Look at the problem the member had with limiting a post to 1000 characters which yes it is fixed now, but maybe there would be more reviews and better reviews if everyone was not rushed into typing and trying to get the data in before the edit restrictions engaged.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Search Feature and Edit time on posts needs corrected and are really annoying.
Man the iPhone app is the way to go.
Everything works perfect.
And let's me get on here between jobs.

Nwatson99

Threads
Man the iPhone app is the way to go.
Everything works perfect.
And let's me get on here between jobs.

Really, I only have these problems with the search on this site everywhere else is fine and in the search box it says right now "Google Custom Search".
The edit post time, does not matter what app or technology you are using we are still handicapped and time restricted with it.

Nwatson99

Threads
Hello where are the admins to correct these issues?

Nwatson99

Threads
:anyone:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for almost a week.

What sort of edit time would you recommend?

Chevychopper

Threads
Pulled this from another forum I'm on, just going to put it up here for site discussion. Some of these points may apply here and some may not. But I thought this is great information on Edit Time for posts.

How do you edit a post that you've already created but need to modify?

The editing time window is currently set at 1 hour.

Let me give you a little background on why editing a post at any time is not possible. I hesitate to change the editing time to "unlimited" because like we've experienced on another one of my sites, this ability can be abused in numerous ways. If ever a member becomes disgruntled they could edit/delete every one of their posts leaving holes in many topics or even change what they wrote later down the road to cause even more havoc.

Editing posts indefinitely leaves us wide open for malicious activity if accounts are ever compromised or a member gets upset and wants to do some destruction. I think with this setting it is going to be hard to please everyone. 1 hour is probably enough time to edit your post and get it the way you want it, but at the same time if someone puts up a good argument, 24 hours is probably okay too. Someone can become disgruntled and go back and delete their last 24 hours of posts and it wouldn't hurt us too bad.

I'm sorry if this inconveniences some people but it is the only way we can prevent members from going back and destroying every topic they've posted in.

Solutions
If you find something that you wrote that you don't like, changed your mind, learned something new, etc., you can always quote the previous post and make the appropriate correction.
Get it right the first time. Use the Preview button as many times as needed to get your posts just the way you want them before submitting.
Become a moderator and you can edit or delete posts any time. Moderators are exempt from the editing time window.
Request your post be edited by a Moderator. If at any time you'd like to send me the revised first post to the How-to post you wrote, I'll edit it for you.

BTW I've never had a problem with the google custom search here or elsewhere.

Nwatson99

Threads
Pulled this from another forum I'm on, just going to put it up here for site discussion. Some of these points may apply here and some may not. But I thought this is great information on Edit Time for posts.

BTW I've never had a problem with the google custom search here or elsewhere.

The current time for editing seems to be fine at least it is longer than 5 minutes now and all members should have the right to write a review, post a review, re-read the review and if they find clerical errors the member should have the right to correct that error and not be locked into a 5 minute edit restriction time.
Being a webmaster myself I would however recommend to the admin group that turn off : Allow user to remove 'Edited by' legend?
If a member here edits their post there should be a time stamp for that edit.

Back to the google search, on a discussion forum if you type word specific for a search it should bring up said word on the forum, it does not need to run through google, it needs to run through the data bases here on this very forum or any other forum you are a member on.
Google is a broad net search not forum search.
I ran a search for example on healing and heeling that cars posted about here and nothing but a blank white page, so that tells me the search feature is not running through the myphp / database on this site which it should and not a broad net search.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Right now we are set to a 1-day edit window. Are you guys not able to edit within a day?

Nwatson99

Threads
Right now we are set to a 1-day edit window. Are you guys not able to edit within a day?
That is about right now and thanks that is much better than that 5 minute stuff it was here when I came back this year.

Give you some more advice, turn off the 'Edited by' legend and edit why reason, that should be a moderators function only anyway to have this.

What about the search, what can be done with it and here is what it looks like for me:

Attachments

• LW.png
    LW.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 4
  • LWII png.png
    LWII png.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 2
  • LWIII.png
    LWIII.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 1