Which Hayter Harrier 48 model??

m5n0w

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I've just grown up and purchased a house with my girlfriend and will be needing a mower to do the obvious.
I have a friend that has 2 hayter harrier 48's available but I am unsure which is the better model.

The first being an earlier model deck with the later Briggs and Stratton grey/black covered engine shown below (standard version and not a "pro")
http://assets.reviewcentre.com/cms//images/152/705/large-6239-jpg-1.jpg

The second being the same deck but with the earlier Briggs and Stratton intek pro engine
(This however is a "pro" model).
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mYYJe1h3f3o0ZhL9WUpEFPQ.jpg

Both the above photos are from the internet and purely here to show the type of deck/engines I'm talking about.

Both are in similar condition (paint wise/use etc) and a similar price +/- 」20 with the pro model being the more expensive.

Can anybody give me an opinion on which of these to go for? Please don't suggest other mowers, I'm purely curious on the above.

Many thanks!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would have to check operation of both, but first I would take a look at oil on dipstick. Is oil on full mark, what color is oil black or light brown, and are there metal shavings in oil? Just a few things to consider. During operation I would listen to engines, are they humming or running erratic? Try operation of both for 10 to 15 minutes each, you will know which one to purchase.

m5n0w

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would have to check operation of both, but first I would take a look at oil on dipstick. Is oil on full mark, what color is oil black or light brown, and are there metal shavings in oil? Just a few things to consider. During operation I would listen to engines, are they humming or running erratic? Try operation of both for 10 to 15 minutes each, you will know which one to purchase.

Thank you for your reply, I will do the above.
Do you know which is the better mower if they are in similar working order?
I know the pro has a stronger handle and bumper but the other has a newer version engine. Is that all? Is the newer engine a better engine?
I assume except for the above they are the same mower.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not really much difference between the 2 models apart from engine.

Both will use a side pto shaft to turn the belt for transmission.
The pin is common for breaking and only a genuine Hayter will fit.

I would go with the model with Quantum and not the Intek.
The Intek gave a lot of hot start problems and had other problems.
The Quantum is a great engine for what you need.