westwood t1200 belt change

Lole

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all

Thought it was about time I found a forum to help with my Westwood mower(s) after numerous weekends over the past few years fiddling with them. I have 2 acres of smallholding and rely on my mower to keep control when the field is not being grazed. Struggling today to replace the cutting deck belt. Pulleys are slipping like mad so nicked the belt off a scrap t1200 but really can't work out how to get the belt past the guard by the cutter pulleys. Have unbelted the pulleys so Incan lift them but the devils wont move, so I am wondering if this is the right way of going about it.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

I'm guessing though, as a US based site everyone is going to start by asking me what a Westwood is!

Thanks

Lole

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
T1200 should have the 36" twin blade deck.
The pulleys will be siezed on the shafts and wont budge.
The easiest way is to remove the belt guard which is held on by 1/2" or 13mm bolts.
Its the only way.

Lole

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply pugaltitude.

I gave up trying to remove the pulleys. I was scared of chipping them.

On the T1200 I raided for the belt it was easy to remove the guard. It had a couple of "legs" which I undid with a 13mm spanner and this allowed the guard to be prised back enough to pull the belt out. In the (earlier?) model I am trying to put the belt on, the guard is much more complete and I just cant find bolts that seem to be holding it in place. Under the deck the only nuts are the ones holding the cutter bosses and one that seems to be holding a removable section of cutter shroud in place. I'll have another look in the morning. At least I know now not to return to the pulleys.

I'm kicking myself a bit in that I did pull the old belt out to measure it against the belt I recovered (does appear to be stretched), and in the process the belt was sliced by the pulley cover. The blades (new ones I fitted during the week) were turning ok if you let the revs build up and continued to work if you took a very light cut in a low gear. But as soon as the load increased they slowed down and often stopped. The drive pulley still turned at max revs though, so it is not an engine issue.

Thanks for the help though. I'll let you know how I get on.

( ....so, not all US members here then?)

Lole

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

Took another look. I'm afraid that there is absolutely no way the pulley cover will come off. It is tack welded on the inside. Ive attached a few pics, you can just about see the tacks. The pulleys do not seem to be heat shrunk onto the shafts and there is no evidence of a keyway or splines. THere does appear to be a sleeve around the shaft and there is a central bolt in the shaft to hold the pulleys down. So I'm thinking that these have to come off.....question is how???? Or is there a method of threading the belt on I don't know about?
Thanks again all

IMG_0499.jpgIMG_0501.jpg IMG_0500.jpg

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Diagram does show key's on the shafts, can you not pull belt around the pulley, start by placing belt on the right side of pulley (pic 1) then pull the belt, maybe someone could help you by turning the shaft from underneath, just mind your fingers...!

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi

Took another look. I'm afraid that there is absolutely no way the pulley cover will come off. It is tack welded on the inside. Ive attached a few pics, you can just about see the tacks. The pulleys do not seem to be heat shrunk onto the shafts and there is no evidence of a keyway or splines. THere does appear to be a sleeve around the shaft and there is a central bolt in the shaft to hold the pulleys down. So I'm thinking that these have to come off.....question is how???? Or is there a method of threading the belt on I don't know about?
Thanks again all

View attachment 21027View attachment 21026 View attachment 21025

Ahh an earlier one that were welded on (stupid idea).
Big pry bar and hope for the best.

Lole

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys

Done it, with the help of meaty screwdriver and a crowbar. Pulley flanges are a little mishapen but it is on. Not an easy job though there is only 7-8 mm clearance between the cover and the pulley. Haven't started it up yet though... hope it has stopped slipping!

Thanks again.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for coming back and letting us know...:thumbsup: