John deere 316

mowerman05

Threads
Any thoughts or ideas what this tractor is worth, pre 1980 john deere 318 with a onan 2 cylinder B43g engine. engine serial # D843-773159. seems to be in nice shape for the age, deck is not all wore out, smokes a little on start up, all hyds work, steering is a little loose. don't know the hrs on machine but it is a one owner and has sat for two years still runs and tires hold air, thanks for any info.

bigrod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any thoughts or ideas what this tractor is worth, pre 1980 john deere 318 with a onan 2 cylinder B43g engine. engine serial # D843-773159. seems to be in nice shape for the age, deck is not all wore out, smokes a little on start up, all hyds work, steering is a little loose. don't know the hrs on machine but it is a one owner and has sat for two years still runs and tires hold air, thanks for any info.
Go to Tractor Data john deere 318 read specs on engine just to give you a lead.

MickG

Threads
anybody have a guess on value?

Ive seen a example with a type 49 snow thrower on CL locally, non runner for $350, and nice examples with just mower deck for $2000, its basically what you think its worth, and how much you have to put into it

bigrod

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have now bought 2 JD 317's. The first had a 17hp kohler 1st series, had thrown a rod busted off the governor inside block. The replacement is a 18HP Briggs Vanguard. Fairly new tires they are the lug style. The motor did run but is not worth repairing due to cost and the fact that engine has a oil pump but splash circulation on the crank. Paid $325 to get tires maybe new motor down the road for $1400. The second 317 already had motor replaced with a 23HP Briggs Vanguard, maybe 2 years old not sure sense the person from whom I bought it from was selling it as a 208 I researched and found it to be a 317, the hood had been replaced. It comes with a full hydraulics for the deck, it come with a 48" snow blade, I will need to replace one hydraulic outlet due to leakage and both the lines that feed the hydraulic cylinder. I will use the tires from the 1st for this will be used hopefully to do drives this winter. priced at $1500 I manage to get it for $1300 This turned out to be a great purchase. My opinion on the Onan is if it is a newer engine and depends on tires look at the side walls for cracks this is a real good indicator and they would run about $250 to 300. That being said it is worth what you can get it for and I would say not more than $1200 keeping in mind the engine is the most important of all and it sounds like it could be the original motor if so it is probably due for a rebuild or replacement!