Parts prices....RIPOFF

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 19 year old GE chest freezer quit working a few days ago...luckily I noticed it had quit working and scrambled around to get a replacement one in record time...I paid $365 with tax for the old one when new, a replacement frreezer of the same size, 15 cubic foot, was $394. My checking on the old one showed either the compressor relay or the compressor was faulty, there are two appliance parts stores in town but neither had a relay...I would have purchased a relay to see if that was the problem rather than going to the expense of buying a new freezer.

Once I had the new freezer downstairs and everything transferred, I went online to see what parts would cost. You will not believe this...for a two wire relay small enough to fit in the bowl of a standard spoon, $68.52 plus shipping. For a compressor, almost $300 plus shipping, and you would need special tools to swap that out because of the freon. Such ripoffs simply discourage owners from repairing appliances, etc. and force them to purchase new ones instead. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. :confused2: :thumbdown: :mad:

LandN

Threads
so your say there was a difference of $30 in 19 years same size freezer? i would be curious what them parts cost 19 years ago. you are right though parts are crazy priced these days on a lot of stuff.:smile:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
so your say there was a difference of $30 in 19 years same size freezer? i would be curious what them parts cost 19 years ago. you are right though parts are crazy priced these days on a lot of stuff.:smile:

Yes you are right...$30 difference!!! However, I started a thread on TBN titled "How long did your freezer last" and there have been a lot of replies submitted. From what I get, the older model freezers lasted forever, newer ones like my '92 vintage should be good for 20 years and the ones you buy today might last TEN YEARS. Which means my new one will actually end up costing me close to $800 over the same 19 year period, because I will have to replace it after 10 years.

:thumbdown: :mad:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can easily OHM out the compressor to determine if it's okay... the relay also is not that big a problem, you can build a test harness and check it out easily if you have a meter with an amp clamp... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can easily OHM out the compressor to determine if it's okay... the relay also is not that big a problem, you can build a test harness and check it out easily if you have a meter with an amp clamp... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, I tested the relay and it came out bad...no stores here have the part and can you imagine waiting a week for a new one? I had to buy a new freezer immediately or lose $500 worth of frozen food. Fridge tech on TBN says he has found most freezers built in 1990 era last 20 years. If you had a freezer that died and you had to wait a week to get a part, WHAT WOULD YOU DO YOURSELF IF YOU DIDNT WANT $500 WORTH OF FOOD TO SPOIL?? Easy for you to say test this test that but what if you test and find a part is bad and cannot get parts in less than a week?

:confused2::confused2:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

What I am pissed off about is not that the freezer quit on me but why is it so fricking hard and costly to get parts? The relay is small enough to fit in the bowl of a SOUP SPOON. WHAT A RIPOFF.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you had a freezer that died and you had to wait a week to get a part, WHAT WOULD YOU DO YOURSELF

I guess I'm spoiled ...
I have an account at one of the largest wholesale distributors in the central US ... they stock almost everything in the Heating refrigeration and appliance lines... I can be at any of their warehouses in under 30 min...most relays are under $10, a lot under $5...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's very convenient but what are the odds that any of the members here on LMF or TBN with its 95000 members, or even the general public have the same opportunity you claim to? Yes I wanted to repair my freezer and not go the the time and expense of exchanging it as I had to. Does it make you feel good that you can tell me you can get the parts I could have used practically free and in a half hour? GEE I am so impressed...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it make you feel good that you can tell me you can get the parts I could have used practically free and in a half hour? GEE I am so impressed...

Gee JD whats wrong...?
Like I said I'm rather spoiled that there are these resources available in my, relatively small town...
I am very lucky that they are here... HOW could your misfortune possibly make ME feel good???
I was simply answering your question ... Remember you asked? WHAT WOULD YOU DO YOURSELF
Gee I'm sorry you feel that way.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm not as surprised about parts cost as what some of the supppliers charge for shipping. :eek: AND that some individual parts aren't available except as a complete asembly.

This particular thing just recently bothers me too. I have a LEER cap on my truck bed and the cap itself is good and never had a problem until a little cam held in by a screw fell out of the rear window lock.
(that screw should have had locktite on the threads) I could not order just the part, Had to get the whole lock assembly. OK, here it comes - LEER dealer wanted $65 + $10 - I found another supplier (exact same part including LEER logo) for $45 + $5 shipping) The assembly came in a small padded mailing envelope.

The cam came off the new part and went onto the old assembly in 5 min. WITH locktite on the threads.
I now have a complete (minus the cam) assembly in a drawer in the garage.