opening a can of worms... anybody want some? :P

Mike88se

Threads
I have an exmark 21 with a Honda 5.5 engine. I've owned severeal Hondas with engine from 5hp to 7hp. The exmark cuts rings around the Hondas. It cuts through grass that would bog the Hondas. Any thoughts on why? Seems odd to me since it's just a 5.5 engine.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have an exmark 21 with a Honda 5.5 engine. I've owned severeal Hondas with engine from 5hp to 7hp. The exmark cuts rings around the Hondas. It cuts through grass that would bog the Hondas. Any thoughts on why? Seems odd to me since it's just a 5.5 engine.

What engine is on the Exmark.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's a easy one, better design.

Mike88se

Threads
What engine is on the Exmark.

I don't recall the model# offhand but like I said it's a 5.5hp. I'm home and can get the model#. The Honda mowers were HR214 up to HRX217... all homeowner models for what thats worth. All had good running engines and good blades at the same cutting height.
I'm not here to bash Honda mowers... I'm just really curious about this.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't recall the model# offhand but like I said it's a 5.5hp. I'm home and can get the model#. The Honda mowers were HR214 up to HRX217... all homeowner models for what thats worth. All had good running engines and good blades at the same cutting height.
I'm not here to bash Honda mowers... I'm just really curious about this.

I'd really like to know the make of the engine on the exmark. Is your Honda the GCV engine?

Mike88se

Threads
That's a easy one, better design.
I thought Honda put a lot or work into the design of their decks?
I'd really like to know the make of the engine on the exmark. Is your Honda the GCV engine?

GXV160 on the exmark. The Hondas have all been sold but the engines were whatever the standard engines on consumer models. There were at least 4 of them from the little 214 easy start cast deck to the HRB and HRX 217's plastic decks.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought Honda put a lot or work into the design of their decks?

GXV160 on the exmark. The Honda's have all been sold but the engines were whatever the standard engines on consumer models. There were at least 4 of them from the little 214 easy start cast deck to the HRB and HRX 217's plastic decks.

Ok you have the GXV on the Exmark, If your Honda has the GCV consumer grade engine that your reason? The GXV 160 is Honda's so called commercial grade engine so it's made to do commercial work. That engine on there Honda mower is running like $1300. I'm not really such what hp the GXV is I think it's like 4hp but you need to remember that the GCV is probably not 5.5hp either.

Last edited:

Mike88se

Threads
Ok you have the GXV on the Exmark, If your Honda has the GCV consumer grade engine that your reason? The GXV 160 is Honda's so called commercial grade engine so it's made to do commercial work. That engine on there Honda mower is running like $1300. I'm not really such what hp the GXV is I think it's like 4hp but you need to remember that the GCV is probably not 5.5hp either.
Okay... I'm going with the notion that its a combo of a better engine and better deck design as reynoldston suggested.
I have a really crappy rough yard to do today. I hate to use this mower on that. Wish I still had one of my cheap mowers for that job.