Lawn Care pricing

Mid TN Lawn

Threads
We have a 35.00 minimum as does most legit companies in my area. I figure fuel is 10. On every job that leaves 25. Then taxes and ins. 7.00 that leaves 18.00 then labor 16.00 that leaves 2.00 then equip. 3.00 that leaves -1.00 general overhead 3.00 now were -4.00 hole if salesman sold customer thats another 3.50 now were -7.50 in hole. Makes you wonder how we make money well it aint on 35.00 size yards. But volume does help.
Note - 35.00 lawn will have to be finished in 20 mins for above numbers to work

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
On a 35 dollar job if it took me an hour I would make about 28 to 30 dollars :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Threads
You have to decide what it is worth to you include wear and tear on machines and fuel/labor

Mike88se

Threads
Yea, that sucks! A 19$ cut could be acceptable for a very small lawn that takes about 15-20 minutes, but when it gets bigger it is just ridiculous and not worth it.

I read about that link and I don't quite understand at 100% how it all works, but someone is making money.

How do they do it for that price? You could always contact them to see if you can be contractor for them in your area for future mowing jobs.

I would never work for them!

They make money by having mowers close by. It is like a job bidding thing. They post an add for a lawn cut and the closest person takes the job thus already saving money (less travel time). Then I guess the person that created the website gets half. They say they pay 8$/9$ a person. It isn't that clear, but it seems a little strange. They say contractors will use this some times.
I didn't mean to sidetrack this thread...just thought that was interesting. I think I read that the mower get $17 on a $19 job which leaves maybe a dollar for the company and one for paypal. It looks like a big operation and I'm sure they can grow. I don't think they'll cut into the big lawn co's business but small operations may get hit. I put the address of my biggest lot in, 1/2 acre, and got a $29 quote. I wouldn't want to do it for that price. There is a long driveway and also a circular driveway and sidewalks. Edging takes a while.
This lawn care pricing thing has been an unanswered question for forever. There's to many factors and variables to consider for each business when estimating pricing. You have a business that get 25$ a cut another who gets 15$ a cut for the same lawn and both prices can be perfectly legit, it all comes down to how one wants to operate their business and how greedy they want to be.

We have a 35.00 minimum as does most legit companies in my area. I figure fuel is 10. On every job that leaves 25. Then taxes and ins. 7.00 that leaves 18.00 then labor 16.00 that leaves 2.00 then equip. 3.00 that leaves -1.00 general overhead 3.00 now were -4.00 hole if salesman sold customer thats another 3.50 now were -7.50 in hole. Makes you wonder how we make money well it aint on 35.00 size yards. But volume does help.
Note - 35.00 lawn will have to be finished in 20 mins for above numbers to work
I was curious about that. Working alone there aren't many jobs I can complete in 20 min. Speaking for myself, I don't have enough lawns to hire help. There is probably no one simple answer for a question on pricing except charge enough to make money.

Mid TN Lawn

Threads
No you would have 28-30 net before taxes and social security you would have 21-23 after that
We have employees 401k plan HSA plan
Payroll taxes office overhead and fuel avgs

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

What or how much you can make depends on how you run your business and what type of overhead you have. Your a solo operator so you cost are going to be different than someone who has a ton of equipment and employees or crew to provide Insurances and payroll to. There's just to many variables to consider for one person to tell another how to price for there services.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
No you would have 28-30 net before taxes and social security you would have 21-23 after that
We have employees 401k plan HSA plan
Payroll taxes office overhead and fuel avgs

No my overhead is gas, maintenance, and taxes that's it ... I use maybe 1 dollar gas per lawn I have small equipment taxes is about 15% so that's about 4 dollars and maintenance costs is maybe a few cents ...

Mid TN Lawn

Threads
I just looked at that lawn mowing online site you cannot stay in business or operate on those numbers a idiot came up with pricing structure business idea is good but pricing is so far off its not funny.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just looked at that lawn mowing online site you cannot stay in business or operate on those numbers a idiot came up with pricing structure business idea is good but pricing is so far off its not funny.

He stays in business using low end desperate contractors the guy who runs it doesn't even push a mower he sits back and collects the contractors he has on his list are beginners in their field a lot like me if I had known about this site I would have used it a couple years ago

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
He stays in business using low end desperate contractors the guy who runs it doesn't even push a mower he sits back and collects the contractors he has on his list are beginners in their field a lot like me if I had known about this site I would have used it a couple years ago

Actually you've hit it about right, the guys is basically just a referral service. As long as he can find the people to mow it's a win win for all.