Need the Basics

NickNack

Threads
So far I don't have much in the way of tools. I have a basic toolkit with hammer and screwdriver and pliers and all that, but nothing in the way of yard tools yet. I'll only be able to spend about $20-$30 per month on tools for now, so I'm thinking of just getting things as I need them. Good plan or are there some basics I'm going to need to get ahead of time?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm thinking of just getting things as I need them. Good plan or are there some basics I'm going to need to get ahead of time?

Definitely get them only as you need them, there are a lot of things that will be 'nice' to have... but there are going to be more things that you will need to have...
Watch for garage sales, and moving sales....
Your approach sounds very reasonable,
I've been buying tools for decades and still add to mine, so you will never quit buying... :smile:KennyV

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
So far I don't have much in the way of tools. I have a basic toolkit with hammer and screwdriver and pliers and all that, but nothing in the way of yard tools yet. I'll only be able to spend about $20-$30 per month on tools for now, so I'm thinking of just getting things as I need them. Good plan or are there some basics I'm going to need to get ahead of time?

Sounds like you've established a buget, although commendable, it's highly unusual. Most of our american counterparts are unable to do that as is evidenced by our recent economic dilema.
Tools will almost always pay for themslves eventually as long as you don't lose them or have neighbor like BGC (See http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/front-porch/2090-neighbors-taking-tools.html). Most will save you lots of money so they are a good investment especially when you buy what you can afford.

cubby

Threads
I would start with a rake, shovel, some type of pruning shear and a cart whether its a hand or pull
behind a mower type. Be careful when buying tools, the real cheap ones usually don't last. And last
take good care of them and you will have them a long time.....cubby

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

To me, a shovel is most important. Get a fiberglass handle with a warranty, I have several Craftsman wood and fiberglass handle shovels, some are 25 years old but if they ever get broken I can get a free replacement. Second, a leaf rake, third, a garden rake, fourth, a hoe or cultivator.

Next, a long crowbar or prybar, can be used for home repair work or to dig out stubborn rocks. Long handle pruning shears, not really required but nice if you have trees and shrubs to trim. Ditto for an 18 inch bow saw, and for small jobs a pair of hand pruners. A 4 cubic foot wheelbarrow is a great item to have.

I could go on and on, but having more tools than that Bob Vila guy, I had better siddown and shuttup.

But buy the best you can afford, even if only one tool at a time, cheap tools are worthless and good quality ones last a lifetime if cared for. And for me, if I spend serious bucks for something I tend to take better care of it than a $5 item.

david80

Threads
I am in the same boat as far as needing everything goes both for the yard work and for my tool box. I have a very basic tool box with a hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, and ploiers and for yard equipment so far we have one shovel! :smile:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Regardless of what tools you need, I'd try to find them as cheap as possible if you're on a budget. Garage sales, auctions, craigslist, etc, are all great sources. I know that out of all the shovels I ever used, never did I have one break. Of course they probably don't make them like they used to. :laughing:

I'd say my most useful tools are:

- Shovel
- Dirt rake
- Leaf rake
- Pick axe
- Crow bar
- Pry bar
- Hedge trimmer/clipper
- Branch saw (if you don't have a chainsaw)

eeguns

Threads
Get what you can on Craigslist... you can bargain and get some awesome deals, often cheaper than what it would cost to rent the tool. If you're in real need ASAP, you can get new tools from Harbor Freight a lot cheaper than at other hardware stores.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am in the same boat as far as needing everything goes both for the yard work and for my tool box. I have a very basic tool box with a hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, and ploiers and for yard equipment so far we have one shovel! :smile:

ONE SHOVEL....well, you can only use one at a time can't you? If you count snow shovels and other special purpose shovels, I probably have close to 25 total. Stop laughing !!! It's because when I want one, I want to walk to the nearest building (4 outbuildings) and get one from there....:biggrin:

NickNack

Threads
Wow! Thanks for the advice everyone. I like the idea of getting a few good things that will last, rather than a bunch of cheap stuff just because it looks good. We have a lot of yard sales and auctions around here, so I'll keep my eye out for deals.