rear end probs.

grassmouse

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to put this mower togeather but i'm a beginner n dont know much about it, and the manuals don't tell u much. I have a Craftsman riderthat I put a 17h moter-B&S coler brand, n everything works fine, except the rear end don't engage. It's a 6sp w/r n it shifts ok n the shaft seems to turn fine, as well as the belt. but the mower wont move, like it shifts but doesn't catch in the gears or something. I sorry to get so intent but I on fixed income, whitch might disappear soon, n can't afford a mechanic so i'm forced to learn myself, hopefully with a little help, plz n thk u whom ever. The model #917.276630 w/YS4500 body sty n last 4 #'s r 6892. I'm not sure but I hope that helps. thanks a bunch n I will try to return the favor in any way reasonable. Thanks again; grassmouse

Last edited by a moderator:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Start small. Look at things like drive pulleys. Are they broken or driving what they are support to drive? Have you checked the keyways that drive the wheels. Check all external things first. If you have to get into the internal part of the drive train parts can be many $'s unless you can find used parts.

jroske

Threads
If everything external looks ok, you will need to drop the transaxle and open it up. Be careful when doing this. You will probably have to replace the shifter keys. I can get you a set of keys for about $25 plus shipping. If you decide to go this way it is a good idea to disassemble the whole insides flipping the gears 180degrees. The shifter keys only grab one side of the gears so by doing this it is like you have replaced the gears unless the teeth are badly damaged. I sounds harder than it is. I did this to a customers machine last summer and it works great... email me if you have any questions. I can send you the schematic if you need it.

Joe

Threads
Have you had the rear wheels off lately?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to go with the key is missing on the wheels.