What does the EVAP Canister actually do?

John Fitzgerald

Threads
I guess its a sign of the times. I believe I read somewhere that even a small push lawn mower gives off more pollutants than a new car.

The question is: How many hours per year does the average mower run compared to a car? If it's 30 hours, that's equivalent to about 1,200 miles a year in a car for average driving. Therefore, mowers don't make significant pollution over all compared to cars. The EPA should have left them alone as not cost effective. Bypassing this junk is a challenge to many tinkerers.

Like the new gas cans. I have one. To pour, I take the spout completely off and use a 10 inch funnel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I guess its a sign of the times. I believe I read somewhere that even a small push lawn mower gives off more pollutants than a new car.

One interesting sidenote to show how far we have come. I read an article in AutoWeek when Ford came out with the new Boss 302. They said that a 1969 stock Boss 302 just sitting (not running), gave off more pollutants than 200 new Boss 302's driving at 55mph. It's amazing what can be done with modern technology and electronics. I'm sure this is all coming to the lawn mower world eventually (the canister is the start). This will make it more difficult for us old timers to diagnose and repair problems...:smile:

Bruce

Lab results when taken out of contents can be made to reveal anything and that is before the number crunchers distort the figures so much they bear no relation to reality.
Then you get the true lies, a perfect example that we can all relate to is 1/2 hour exposed to sunlight will destroy all the vitamin C in milk.
This came from the milk carton makers and is true, however if we drank milk for it's vitamin C content we would all die from scurvy .

Mowers contribute almost nothing to enviromental pollution however if you take them into a lab and hook the exhaust up to analytical machines then extrapolate the results to a level that would never be reached in use you can make some amazing conclusions.

Every mower running 24/7 in the USA would pump out the same amount of pollution as 1 hour of take offs & landings at any major domestic airport, but no says boo about that.
In fact a great amount of pride is attached to how much air travel will increase.

stukall

Forum Newbie
Threads
How can I bypass the EVAP on my 20 hp field and brush mower. Just put a new one on ad think I could have filled the tank too high and was going over some very
rough ground and could have plugged this new can up too.

Jdee

Forum Newbie
Threads
The question is: How many hours per year does the average mower run compared to a car? If it's 30 hours, that's equivalent to about 1,200 miles a year in a car for average driving. Therefore, mowers don't make significant pollution over all compared to cars. The EPA should have left them alone as not cost effective. Bypassing this junk is a challenge to many tinkerers.

Like the new gas cans. I have one. To pour, I take the spout completely off and use a 10 inch funnel.

Runtime is irrelevant. Fuel just sits in the gastank 24/7, 365 days whether it's a mower or a car. And even if you drain the gas out of your small engine tools for the winter, most of the fuel evaporation occurs in warm weathers.