Worst Job Ever?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Reading the thread about garbage cans reminded me of a book I recently read, it described various minimum wage jobs in real life. Remember how being a garbage collector was usually considered being the worst job you could have? Well, one of the jobs in the book I read was where you had to grab live hen turkeys in a brooder house and impregnate them (with a syringe of turkey sperm) as fast as you could, sometimes you had to have several in your hands at one time in order to keep pace with what the boss thought was the proper number to "fix" per hour...:confused2:

Believe me, garbage collecting sounds pretty good compared to jobs like that....:eek:

173abn

Threads
one of my worst jobs was being a hot tar roofer,even though I made a pretty good wage doing it ,it sucked.I still get flashbacks when I smell hot tar. russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
one of my worst jobs was being a hot tar roofer,even though I made a pretty good wage doing it ,it sucked.I still get flashbacks when I smell hot tar. russ

I have done a lot of roofing, but never with hot tar, that is a really dangerous and miserable job, can you imagine doing that kind of work and then having the job in the turkey brooder shed as a sideline? TAR WITH FEATHERS. ROTFLMAO

Worst job I ever had was in the summer of my junior year of high school, I had a tree sprayer position with a private company that traveled around mid-Michigan, we sprayed trees and vegetation that might interfere with power lines, it was usually blisteringly hot and we were dragging heavy hoses thru all kinds of muck and the skeeters ate us alive. And although we had 4wd in the sprayer trucks, they got stuck rather often...you have not experienced fatigue until you have been shoveling mud in 95 degree weather with the bugs eating you alive...compared to that job the rest I had were very tolerable.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Worse job I ever had was working in chicken houses as a teenager. We removed the old hens from the egg laying cages and put them in rolling pens to load on the truck for Campbell's soup. Some the hens would get loose and end up in the manure pits under the cages which resembled black soup. I had to catch the loose hens and put them in the rolling pens. They would spatter manure all over you and enybody else in the area. Got manure in my mouth more then once.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Reading the thread about garbage cans reminded me of a book I recently read, it described various minimum wage jobs in real life. Remember how being a garbage collector was usually considered being the worst job you could have? Well, one of the jobs in the book I read was where you had to grab live hen turkeys in a brooder house and impregnate them (with a syringe of turkey sperm) as fast as you could, sometimes you had to have several in your hands at one time in order to keep pace with what the boss thought was the proper number to "fix" per hour...:confused2:

Believe me, garbage collecting sounds pretty good compared to jobs like that....:eek:

I watched Mike Rowe perform this very same task on "Dirty Jobs" a show on the Discovery Channel. I've seen him work some horriffic jobs but that was the only one he actually threw his hands up and quit after about 6 turkey hens.

You see, the hen has to be upside down bewteen your thighs while you are sitting in a chair. Then you inject her and then she defecates. This waste has no where to go but up and depending on the angle and the trajectory...:ashamed:.. truly a disgusting task.
Mike Rowe is a pretty resilient guy. For him to just give up and leave was...well it was entertaining. He is the spokesperson for Ford and Wrangler, in case you haven't seen the show.
Before he was inseminating the hens, he was collecting the semen from the Gobblers, what a day?
That will change your attitude towards Thanksgiving, he's probably just as happy with steaks on the grill now:licking:

173abn

Threads
Too funny all,thanks for the laughs! russ

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I'm sure everyone likes to complain about their jobs and how much they hate them but I feel really lucky to not have to do things that you guys have mentioned. I mean, impregnating animals; that one has to be so strange. I always thought working in a morgue or an old-folks home would be really, really hard. When my grandmother was dying, I took care of her and that was one thing but taking care of, getting to know and seeing a bunch of people you meet dying.. that would just break my heart.

173abn

Threads
abeja,been there,done that too. russ

mois25

Threads
As much as most of us might not admit, along life's way we have all handled these dirty jobs that we are not proud of.

I too worked in a poultry house once and did not like the experience..

monica123

Threads
When I met my husband he worked in a chicken plant hanging dead chickens and getting the nasties out of them. I have family that work in Mink farms impregnating them, they are viscous little buggars and they stink to high heavens!