Frustrating Intermittent Problem with Scag Turf Tiger Koehler Engine

JRonascag

Threads
  • / Frustrating Intermittent Problem with Scag Turf Tiger Koehler Engine
Hi! I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if I do something wrong with this post. I have a frustrating problem with my Scag and am sure hoping you can help:
It is an ~8-yr old Scag Turf Tiger with the 27hp Koehler engine, with ~300 hrs. I use it to cut my 5 acre lot.
I've always maintained it carefully and it's been a great mower. Now however, it's developed a very frustrating intermittent problem as follows:
The mower/engine runs perfectly for about the first hour. Then, right out of the blue, it starts sputtering and quickly dies if I don't quickly kill the blades and put the throttle to idle.
If I let it idle for a minute or so, then I can resume cutting for 15 minutes or so with no problems. Then...it starts the bobbling again. If I let it cool completely (i.e. overnight), it will run great for the hour or so and then start the issues again.
I thought I had found the problem: a clogged oil cooler. Embarrassingly, I hadn't noticed that it had developed a small leak at the cooler inlet and oil had dripped onto the fins, allowing it to collect a lot of dust, and the fins were completely clogged. I felt sure this was the problem, causing it to get too hot and shut down (heat or oil pressure sensor I hope?). I removed the cooler, cleaned it and the flywheel housing and fixed the leak, thinking that this would solve the problem. It definitely seems to have helped as it runs considerably longer (about 1.5hrs) before the problems starts again. One other item: I can't tell for sure, but the power also seems to be down a bit overall. It seems that the engine chokes down a little when I do a lot of hard turning and I don't remember that occurring before.
As FYI, I have also replaced the air filter, spark plugs, and fuel filter to no avail. The fuel pump is mechanical, so I wouldn't think it is heat sensitive and this sure seems to be a heat issue of some sort.
So....hopefully you can follow my confusing description and I'd sure appreciate your insight.
Thanks in advance.
James

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you feel that its heat related then I can think of three.

Valve(s)

Ignition Coil (breakdown)

Fuel starvation

let us have the numbers off the engine (model/type)

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post your engine's model and spec numbers, it will help isolate possible problem areas,
thanks

Fish

JRonascag

Threads
I'll get that info posted this evening when I can get it off the mower. Thanks!

JRonascag

Threads
Good evening! As requested, the model number is STT52A-27CH.
Mower Serial number is 9360106.
It is a Kohler Command engine and.....I don't have it's serial number and mower is at another location. If you need that, let me low and I'll get it ASAP.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Will need the model number of Kohler Command engine.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, we need to get that spec number to see if it has "Smart Spark", I think it does, and that is likely your problem area if it does have it.

Fish

JRonascag

Threads
Good evening, again. Got the engine info:
Engine number 3324517691
Model CH740S
Spec no ch740-0041
OEM no 482890

JRonascag

Threads
Btw: I'm certainly anxious to hear if you think it's a smart spark issue or other ideas, but let me add something else that I thought of: when problems occur, I always first try to think "what changed recently that might cause the problem?"
In reading this forum last night I stumbled onto a thread that talked about vapor lock caused by fuel line heating and....it got me remembering...
At the beginning of this season after mower sat up for several months, I had to pull the fuel line and suck some fuel through the fuel pump to get it primed. In the process, the hose end was a mess, so I cut some off its length before putting it back on the fuel pump outlet, making it a much closer fit against the upper part of the motor. AND the heat shield material was badly frayed and I moved what was left of it closer to the carb. I now realize both of these actions left a completely exposed fuel line right where the hot air flow upward after coming through the oil cooler fins and bouncing off the battery box.
So....do you think I could be overheating the fuel line and causing some sort of vapor lock issue?
This scenario really seems to jive with my symptoms, but I may just be grasping. I defer to you experts.

dodgefate

Threads
I had a motrcycle that would get vapor lock when I was beating the balls off it. It only used to happen at about 120 mph. While riding I used to take the key out, open the gas tank and restart the bike. So if it is vapor lock, just unscrewing the fuel cap should be an instant fix/diagnosis. If that dosent work I would recommend caring around a can of carburetor cleaner. If it starts to bog down, spray some in the intake and if it steady out you know its a fuel starvation problem. or you could just choke the motor to see if it stays running.
Only 3 systems you have are fuel spark and compression so if you narrow out the one then that leaves two left.