Snapper with electric start

afoulk

Threads
I bought a used snapper hi vac the other week with a Briggs 7hp Intek and electric start. the original owner said that the battery stopped charging a few years ago. Its sat the last two years cause it was getting harder and harder to pull start until finally it wouldn't start at all. I believe that problem is just a simple valve adjustment, or maybe even a dirty carb. Anyways, my question is about the battery. Do these mowers charge them as its running? I've looked up parts for it on Jackssmallengines.com, and the diagrams show a battery charger available for it. I also can't find a charging coil in the engine diagrams. I downloaded the owners manual and all it tells you is how to install a new battery and how to top off the electrolyte in it and charge it with a trickle charger. I just wanna be sure its just a bad battery and not that this thing isn't charging it while running when it should be. Thanks.

afoulk

Threads
sorry guys, I wanted to give you the model number of the mower just incase it helped anyone. model# p17017bve. numbers on the engine were 128607-0113-E1

Mini Motors

Threads
According to my book, the 7 in 128607 = electric start 12 volt gear drive, with alternator.

afoulk

Threads
so the starter should be charging it then, correct?

txzrider

Threads
I dont think the starter is charging it... it has a charging coil that is energized by magnets in the flywheel and then rectified to charge the battery. It sounds like once you get it running, you need to use a voltmeter to check to see if it is charging.

afoulk

Threads
That's what I expected to see when looking up the starting system and flywheel arrangements, but I didn't see any mention of a charging coil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is NO charging system on this engine, which is the reason for the plug in battery charger.

afoulk

Threads
Thank you Rivets, this is what I suspected, but wanted to make sure before I started chasing my tail, thinking that the "charging" system wasn't working:laughing: