The roll bar is done on my rig - GONE

fishbone

Threads
I posted earlier that the roll bar on my Kommander looked like a dangerous thing. It has the ability to catch low hanging branches and flip the mower over backwards.
To that end I chainsawed all likely looking branches that I though would pose a problem (quite a pile).
All except one !!! That sucker caught the roll bar and the mower immediately raised the front end. It kept climbing higher until I felt like the unit was vertical. I was thinking quickly as to which way the mower would land so as to be in the best possible spot. Apparently the front of the mower raised high enough that the roll bar was lowered. The bar, with the continued forward unit movement, slipped from under the branch allowing the front end to come slamming down.
That is what I had envisioned and talked about.
What idiots at Kubota thought this was a good safety feature is a wonder.
The chance of what happened to me has much higher odds of happening than a roll-over. That apparently is what other manufactures thought too.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ROPS systems are required for equipment (tractors, zero turns etc.) that may be sold to any employer. Read the regulations below. The manufacturer is not about to build two identical units, one with and one without this system for their own protection. Just like safety switches they are designed for a purpose. Blame the "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" not the equipment manufacturers. Did you remove the seatbelt also, since you were probably not using it either.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10957

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That "one" overlooked or skipped branch, is exactly why the rops system was put there.
You were aware of the possible problem with branches, and even went so far as to remove most of them... but you still managed to get into a problem with a possible backwards flip as the consequence.

Safety equipment is intended to aid in the 'unnoticed' situation, when someone makes a mistake, or if an unforeseen event happens... Like a tire failure, hitting a hole or drop of a curb, less experienced operator errors like turns too sharp at too fast a speed.
You can remove any "safety" provisions you like... but you Should First recognize the Intended Purpose, before you remove them...They were Not just added as an unnecessary bells & whistles attachment... IF you understand the designed purpose you Might be able to plan for Most associated events. (while You are the only operator).
Also like Rivets mentioned... If you have removed the rops, Do Not leave the seat belt, some less experienced operator 'May' one day get seriously injured because they used a seat belt, Without the rops.... :smile:KennyV

scott47429

Threads
you also should remember this and it took me awhile to figure it out myself since ZTRs are so much fun to use just because they will run 11 or 12 MPH dont mean you have to run that fast around things that can or will cause you problems i went just the other way my ZTR didnt come with the ROPS so get Exmark to send it to the dealer and had it put on and now even though i have all my trees trimed up not to cause problems i never run as hard as it will go unless im on flat unobstructed ground

fishbone

Threads
Kubota chose to add the roll bar to consumer mowers, not the government. It is held on by 4 accessible bolts. To add it for commercial or employer sales is a minor deal.
There are many things to cause a roll over (although, unlikely) and a roll bar would be good to have in place. However, roll bars are much more likely to CAUSE an accident.
My attention will be focused on staying safe and the roll bar is the first to go. And yes, the seat belt is a hazard.

Duckman

Threads
Fish...I was thinking of doing the same thing. It does look easy to take off.

I personally drive mine fast...I can almost get it into a power slide when I hit some good mud. That being said I can "feel" the ability for the mower to lift and have had some minor second thoughts in doing it. Plus taking it off would make putting a cover over it a lot easier.

39039462.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are many things to cause a roll over (although, unlikely) and a roll bar would be good to have in place. However, roll bars are much more likely to CAUSE an accident.
My attention will be focused on staying safe and the roll bar is the first to go. And yes, the seat belt is a hazard.

How is Kubota supposed to know if the unit is being used residentially or commercially? Plus, most accidents occur to residential operators. The ROPS SYSTEM (roll bar seatbelt) will not cause an accident. The accident will be caused by an inexperienced and nonobservant operator, which the ROPS is designed to protect. You blaming the manufacturers is passing the buck and not taking the responsibility for your actions. I never do anything wrong, someone else is causing my problems and is to blame. Also, you now will have to do ALL your own maintainence and repairs on this unit, because any honest dealer or repair shop will know that they must reinstall the ROPS, as it is a mandated safety system and can't go out of the shop until all safety systems are working properly. We have to work by these rules and our liability insurance does not cover us if we don't. We're not going to take the chance that nothing will go wrong. Those are the rules we must live by, even though at times we don't like it either. Maybe if you look at it from the other side of the fence you might understand why things are done for a reason.

fishbone

Threads
Yes, I did make a mistake. When first looking at the mower, I determined that the roll bar was an accident waiting to happen. My mistake was not removing it first off.
Just looking up for branches and looking down as to where the mower is cutting goes counter to safety.
Mowing around overhead growth with a roll bar is just stupid. A back-flip is just a matter of time.

Ragnar4841

Threads
I removed my ROPS a couple days ago. I figure I could live without it give my yard being mostly flat, several trees with low branches presenting hazards, and the fact that the Gravely ZT HD 48 I was considering (or anything else I was considering) didn't even come with one.

Heck, I can always put it back on if I need...

Duckman

Threads
HOLY FREAK'N COW... I found out what you guys are talking about.

So I am getting around the edges of the field a little closer than normal and all of all of the sudden the front of the mower raises up, I mean like a dragster off the starting line...bout had to change my pants. It's weird...you don't know what to do with the controls...go forward-go backward then bang it was over.

My land is totally flat...that thing is coming OFF...END OF STORY.

39289034.jpg